X

New Kat 750 tapping sound

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Kat 750 tapping sound

Okay so I got this screaming deal on a leftover '06 Katana 750 and after less than 200 miles on it, the engine starting tapping. You can hear it at idle, it is metallic sounding and is coming from the top right of the cylinder head. It gets louder under load and above 3500rpm. I can hear it at 55mph with my helmet on over the windnoise! it's getting louder. So I put it in the shop. Any ideas how a brand new bike could do this? Is it a cam follower most likely? It also is very blubbery below 3500rpm and it won't accelerate when it is cold. Junk in the carbs from sitting unsold for 2 years? Anyway, they are looking at it.

Sounds like they will need to run the valves.

Don't know why this early but things can and do happen. I think that normally they will need to run the valves at 600 miles as they say that is the big one.

Hope it works out fine for ya.

Tmod
    Last edited by Tmod; 07-03-2008, 02:49 PM.

Comment

definately the valves....

Comment

It's a valve. Not a big deal as long as it didn't pound the top of the valve too bad.

Comment

It's Fixed!

Junk in the carbs, plugged pilot circuit which is why it had no bottom end and stalled pulling away from lights. Also needed the choke on for 5 minutes just to ride it in 90 degree weather!

Now... idles smooth, pulls hard in any gear from 2 grand on up and needs almost no choke in the A.M. Oh, and the tapping sound is gone but they said they never heard it? Whatever... I am happy. It now rides completely different and is fun. Once it it broken in I will start modding it.

Comment

Working...
          X