X

help with me carbs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with me carbs

ok. there doesnt seem to be an idle screw. and i just wanna make sure i got all my fuel and vac lines right. help?

so in that 1st pic...

1. goes to petcock hole facing back of the bike

2. goes on petcock hole facing front of bike

3. has a line that just loops over carbs like an overflow to atmosphere

4. goes to hole in the fuel level gauge sender thing.

are these 4 things right so far???

then on to the pic of the bottom of the gas tank.

the hole in the actual gas tank... i have nothing going to that. what is this thing? do i need anything going to it?

and the hole on the side of the petcock just has a line that goes down like an overflow to atmosphere

anyone spot anything wrong???

then also please look at the pic of the bottom of the carbs . am i supposed to have an idle screw or something??? wtf is goin on here LOL
    Last edited by frosti108; 07-17-2008, 05:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    1989 katana 750

This might help...
    Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
    From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
    this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

And "and the hole on the side of the petcock just has a line that goes down like an overflow to atmosphere" that's a negative, that goes to your number 4 carb, far right

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

The hoses in pic #1, designated as 2-4 and 1-3 are your fuel lines. They connect to the upper nipples shown on the petcock in pic #3. 2-4 goes to the front and 1-3 goes to the back. There should be a vacumn line that pulls from carb #4 and connects to the lower nipple of the pet cock shown in pic #3. The other nipples on the bottom of the tank shown just south of the fuel valve and on the side of the fuel sensor serve as pressure relief and you should rout fuel quality hoses from these things to the road. The idle screw is in the carb linkage but you show no pic(s) of that and I don't think that is your problem. Define your problem with more more detail.
      sigpic

"Computer users who do not back up their data deserve to lose it, period." - William H. Gates III

Comment

yeah, you certainly don't have an idle screw
        no they aren't lets get this RIGHT. Hoses 1 & 2 those are fuel lines, they go to the pet cock. Nipple 3 & 4 those are vents, they aren't the same thing.
        Last edited by arsenic; 06-24-2008, 10:48 PM.

Comment

That's right. Those are are the overflow vents. You looked at the pic in more detail. Thank you. These should also have routing to the road.
          sigpic

"Computer users who do not back up their data deserve to lose it, period." - William H. Gates III

Comment

edit: so nipples 3 and 4 should both have hoses that go and hang down below the carbs like vents, or should i just leave em without hoses? does it matter?

its good to have help!!!! thanks guys.

GYTrDUNkat- thanks i saw that thread but i thought i needed my own thread for this lol and i dont have the 4th carb shown in my pics really, oops. ill have to take some more tomorrow. so your sayin theres a port on the #4 carb that should connect to the side of the petcock. check.

ckoepk- i designated those 2 hoses 1 and 2. the 3 and 4 are pointing to the holes next to where the fuel lines connect in. i have hoses running to them, they just sorta slip on, not too tight or anything. sorry to confuse you. again, ill have to fix up a line from the #4 carb to the side of the petcock.

and the 2 other ports on the tank and fuel level sender are just atmospheric overflows basically. so ill run lines to hang down below the carbs.

and so now what do u guys think i should do about the idle screw? u want closer pics of the linkage? it just sucks im using a camera phone for these LOL

so my problem goes like this. i bought the bike years ago. its always had a high idle. i mean like 2 to 3k rpm. i rode it like this for a little here and there. had my fun. the bike was always very fast. just had the damn high idle. and it got harder and harder to start. finally this year i took it out of storage and my friend told me to bring it to his job at a dealership to investigate. at this point the batterys shot and it wont start. so we take the carbs off and check em out. one of them is open a sliver so we adjusted the linkages and got them all closed tight. so now it doesnt idle high. infact it doesnt idle at all unless you have choke on. with choke on its at like 3 or 4. take it off and it dies. but atleast it starts up very easy with choke now. but once you take the jumper cables off, its pretty quick to die if you dont keep the gas up a little ..just because of the bad battery.

so my theory was... the one carb was open a little, so whoever had it, turned the idle screw all the way down. so now that we fixed the throttle body, we should be able to open the idle screw to compensate. but wait, there is no idle screw. so where do i go from here. i know i need a new battery, but what about the carbs
            Last edited by frosti108; 06-24-2008, 11:15 PM.
            1989 katana 750

Comment

If there is no screw in the place the cable-one used to go..... I would just put a little flathead machine screw in there, and deal with being a PITA to adjust the idle. Otherwise, you need that whole knob and cable setup. I dunno where you'd source that from (dealer?).
              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

i just dont know how it even goes in... ive never seen or had one. is it just a screw that sits up against the linkage and keeps it from closing too much?

if so, loudnlow i may just do what u said. i wouldnt mind it bein a ***** to get to, as long as i actually have it LOL

sure would be better than not havin it at all
                1989 katana 750

Comment

When I was rebuilding my pre carbs those rubber vent tees were wasted. For some reason (floats calibrated and perfect), after I replaced them, they still shot fuel out the top for a short time until the Kat got warm. That is why I ran fuel line to the bottom of the bike from these things.

But why did Suzuki leave an open, dust consuming and fuel ejecting orifice facing top up in their carb system?

Pilot screw adjustment.
                  Last edited by ckoepke; 06-24-2008, 11:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by frosti108 View Post
                    i just dont know how it even goes in... ive never seen or had one. is it just a screw that sits up against the linkage and keeps it from closing too much?

if so, loudnlow i may just do what u said. i wouldnt mind it bein a ***** to get to, as long as i actually have it LOL

sure would be better than not havin it at all
                    Yeah, if you just look at the linkage where your throttle cable goes, it should be pretty obvious where there used to be a screw to adjust how far the butterfly's shut. Just look at it, flip it open and close a few times, you'll see it.
                    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by ckoepke View Post
                      When I was rebuilding my pre carbs those rubber vent tees were wasted. For some reason (floats calibrated and perfect), after I replaced them, they still shot fuel out the top for a short time until the Kat got warm. That is why I ran fuel line to the bottom of the bike from these things.

But why did Suzuki leave an open, dust consuming and fuel ejecting orifice facing top up in their carb system?

Pilot screw adjustment.

so are you trying to say that directly inside of number 3 and 4 on my pic, is the pilot screw?? me confused.
                      1989 katana 750

Comment

Whelp, your at 69 post's right now, you aren't 'that' confused!

Sorry no other input, daughter is NOT wanting to go to bed!

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Oh no, idle air mixture screw is visible in photo #2. On the bottom of the carbs, little flathead screws, recessed a little bit.

Comment

^^ huh???? im starting to lose you guys lol

and lol @ gytrdun 69 can get a little confusing if your by yourself...
                            1989 katana 750

Comment

ok, too lazy to take your picture and modify it to show you so......
                              Look at photo #2. See that bar that runs all the way across the carbs? It connects all 4 together.... it's at the top in the photo. There are 3 things per carb that stick out at you from that bar..... 2 of them are screws (obvious) the other one is a little round recess. Inside that hole, you will find a very small slotted screw. Voila! You've found it! Those are your idle mixture screws.

Comment

Working...
                              X