Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

new 06 kat leaking gas, and wont start HELP!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starter is not a problem
    now it cranks up every time, but it wont stay on.
    if i rev it up it will stay but it will not idle. tomorrow i will change the oil.
    tonight i will open the spark plug holes.

also how do i clean the floats and needles? do i just remove them and "wash" em in gas? spray em with carb cleaner? i mean whats the easiest way?
    tomorrow is the last day for me to work on it, so any last suggestions?
    by the way thanks to everyone for the help!

Comment

there is no "easy way", take the carbs apart and throughly clean the needle valves and seats.

Comment

it runs alright now after a oil and plug change but one cylinder still isnt firing or firing right.
        i started it and rode up and down the street then i sprayed water on the exhaust manifold and the water quickly evaporated off of 1,2 and 4 but not 3.

im asuming 3 is still full of fuel.
        should i just leave the plug off and let it evap?

Comment

Nah, Three probably has junk in the pilot circuit. My guess is that would have been the carb that had the stuck float as well. Could try some Seafoam, but you might end up having to pull the carbs and reclean the pilot jet. The plug should be dry, unless you are still having a flooding issue ongoing along with the petcock starting to seep agian.
          If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
          Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

so i left the gas tank off and plug holes open all night till 2 pm today. i put everything back together and it runs fine but at full throttle i feel a power lag for a second at high rpm.
            think that seafoam will work?
            where do i get it from?

Comment

Newbie2it is right on with everything he said. I learned most of this the hard way a couple of months ago but I took mine to a pro and had the gunked-up carbs rebuilt. My bike was a repo and had sit up for a long time before I got her. Combined with my ignorance it cost me a few gallons of spilled gas and one breakdown on the road but she is running great now. Eventually I'll learn to do all this stuff myself but my bike is the only vehicle I have at the moment so I need it running every day. Need a car, but want more bikes!

Comment

dam it now when i start it up it sounds like a damn cruiser. like its misfiring.
                i bought the dam thing new. only been about 3 months, i have a 3 year warranty. can i just take it to a shop?
                i have no money what so ever. ugh this is stressing me out!
                i was supposed to be in new mexico by today!
                new plugs, new oil, new oil filter.
                you really think it could be the main jet or other jet?

Comment

If the bikes under warrenty, then yes, bring it to the dealer, but make sure what the warrenty covers. Theres always exclusions. Dont want you to think all well and then have to drop your pants and grab your ankles.

Seafoams avalible at most autoparts stores, While it may help, I still say you got junk in your pilot circuit since, by the way your describing it, it really is only idling on three cylinders. A spit test on the hot exhaust pipe will reveal which carb isnt funtioning correctly. Tearing apart the carbs and thoroughly cleaning them will definately help. Tho keep one phase in mind. "Third times usually the charm"

Oh, on the seafoam, the Kats tank full is about 5 gallons... so its about a 1/3 of a can to a full tank.
                  If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                  Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Working...
                  X