X

Replace coil packs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace coil packs?

In disassembling my bike yesterday for a valve job, I noticed the #2 spark plug wire had completely pulled out of the coil pack at the coil end. Obviously bad and might explain some of my rough running. I don't see an easy way to reattach to the coil pack (there's a plastic clip there which I tried to undo, naturally breaking it off in the process).

So here are my choices:

1. Order new Suzuki coil packs. About $150.

2. Try to fix this thing somehow (anyone know how?)

3. Order Dynacoils (about $150) but (1) don't know which ones specifically to get and (2) they don't seem to come with plug wires either - which gets me right back where I am today.

Suggestions?

try ebay first, or ask some ppl around here. arsenic might have some, pm him or look around on the parts for sale threads
    Captain of Squad 11

Comment

Another crazy idea that just popped into my head:

Any advantage to running four packs instead of two? I could just use my two existing packs (including the broken one) to run two of the cylinders and then order two new ones for the other two. There'd just be one spade connector on each pack not used.

Also, are the Dynacoils REALLY any better? Can you use a larger gap? Different heat range?

Comment

Hey thats a cool idea. Running 4 coils would get you twice the available power for the spark. Not sure youd notice anything unless you were turboed and had problems with spark blowout. But itd be easy enough to do to warrant trying. If you really want aftermarket coils any CDI type coil should work, provided you can fit it in the small space available. Might even be cheaper if theres a car coil thatd fit.
        The fuel injected Katana project

Comment

the Dyna coil's you NEED the 3 ohm dual out put green coils, Are they any better, nothing your gonna notice In another words if you're looking for 20+ HP put the K&N down put the Dyna coils down and buy a gixxer.

Comment

I have a set of coils for a pre... cheap.
            "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Thanks - yea I figured 4 coils might help 'em last longer or whatever although I have no reason to suspect they're bad and I've got well over 50,000 miles on this bike. So no worries.

Thanks for the offer jgmann but my Kat is a '99 unfortunately. I think I'll just buy a new set of stockers. I didn't figure the Dynacoils would make a perceptible difference but it was worth asking I suppose.

Yes, at some point I'd like to try turbo-ing this bike (I've got a half dozen spare turbochargers of various sizes sitting around from other projects) but for now mostly I just want a good, solid, fun bike that I can use in lieu of my 911 (which is significantly worse on MPG, especially when I put my foot into it).

A lot of the maintenance is just stuff I've been putting off and now's a good chance to do it (clean the carbs, install the jet kit, change all the filters, new gaskets & plugs, yada-yada).

Comment

coils are the SAME pre and post 2-4 ohm primary resistance. I've got some coils that are 20 years old and they are fine, so 06, yeah coils are fine dude.

Comment

Working...
                X