X

Pre carb questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre carb questions

1. The four screws at the bottom of each carb in the picture below are the idle ar screws correct? (sorry didn't see ant pics in any of the old threads)

2. Where exactly should I be measuring float height from and can I have the carb sitting straight up and down to get my measurement?
    97 GSX600F
    76 CB750F
    71 CB175

Pre Carbs

These and many other questions are thoroughly covered if you do a search or check out Carbs 101. The screws I believe you are referring to are the drain screws on the bowls. You have to remove the floats from the bowls to measure the float heights. Proper measuring technique has been covered as well. Some searches are hard to conduct, however, if you search regarding your questions, you will find a wealth of info. I received an excellent education on my pre carbs by conducting searches and reading everything I could find. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by 94Katana600 View Post
      These and many other questions are thoroughly covered if you do a search or check out Carbs 101. The screws I believe you are referring to are the drain screws on the bowls. You have to remove the floats from the bowls to measure the float heights. Proper measuring technique has been covered as well. Some searches are hard to conduct, however, if you search regarding your questions, you will find a wealth of info. I received an excellent education on my pre carbs by conducting searches and reading everything I could find. Best of luck.

just take your time and know what you're getting into before you tear them apart. float height adjustment is an interesting exercise.
      "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

exactly, but you'll really learn once you start tearing into your carbs, it sound and looks hard, but it isn't. read the carbs 101 first and buy or download a service manual and you should be good to go. it never hurts to ask some of the more experience ppl here either. newbie2it, cyberpoet, arsenic, thaz, and a bunch more other mo-fo's here i consider family. let us know how it goes keep us posted!
        Captain of Squad 11

Comment

Originally posted by 94Katana600 View Post
          These and many other questions are thoroughly covered if you do a search or check out Carbs 101.
          As stated I've read many threads on carbs. None have pictures or working pictures. At least none that show the A/F screws.

I'm a visual learner, reading only gets me so far. I can tell you I've read the Carb 101 thread at LEAST 10 times. Saying to turn the A/F screw out 2 1/2 turns and the jet should be at this level is only good if you know what all those parts are.

I thought the purpose here is to help. Not everyone knows thier way around a carb like the back of thier hand.

Originally posted by KenpachiZaraki View Post
          exactly, but you'll really learn once you start tearing into your carbs, it sound and looks hard, but it isn't. read the carbs 101 first and buy or download a service manual and you should be good to go. it never hurts to ask some of the more experience ppl here either. newbie2it, cyberpoet, arsenic, thaz, and a bunch more other mo-fo's here i consider family. let us know how it goes keep us posted!
          Thanks, already taken one apart. They were recently cleaned, rebuilt and a jet kit installed. (Before I got the bike) But from what I've been told, my float height is off and I'm sure my A/F mixture is off as well. All seals are fresh I just want to set the flaot height and A/F mixture so that I can get the bike to someone local that can sync the carbs so I can get back to riding.

Originally posted by jgmann67 View Post

just take your time and know what you're getting into before you tear them apart. float height adjustment is an interesting exercise.
          I've done it on automotive carbs, but a lot of threads I've read say to tilt the carbs. That I've never had to do, so I just want to make sure I do it right before I put it back together and have to tear it all apart again.
          Last edited by starion88esir; 05-26-2008, 10:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          97 GSX600F
          76 CB750F
          71 CB175

Comment

Btw the way.. Love the fab'd Vac caps

One thing to note, All four carb bowls are swithed around. The drain screws should all be facing away from each other. Starting with the two center carbs. Those two will both have the covers with the allen screw facing outbound. The two outter most will have the phillips screw.. Also facing outbound. No Biggie, Just it makes draining the carbs easier.
            If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
            Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

I didn't even notice that good call

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
              One thing to note, All four carb bowls are swithed around. The drain screws should all be facing away from each other. Starting with the two center carbs. Those two will both have the covers with the allen screw facing outbound. The two outter most will have the phillips screw.. Also facing outbound. No Biggie, Just it makes draining the carbs easier.
              Last edited by arsenic; 05-27-2008, 12:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

The A/F screws are pointed out in this picture.

Hey!! I have some of those vacuum caps too!! Works for me.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
                who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

ah yes, the Factory Pro picture, I was gonna post that, but I figured someone else would

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
                    Btw the way.. Love the fab'd Vac caps

Thanks, for the info. Guess the guy that did the stuff before was in a big rush. I will switch them out once I pull them apart and set the float heights on all of them. I had nothing to do with the vac caps. I was actually curious about those, I uess if they're no problem then no worries. Little ugly though.

Originally posted by Court93kat View Post
                    The A/F screws are pointed out in this picture.

Hey!! I have some of those vacuum caps too!! Works for me.

Thank you for the picture. I looked all over for one of those. A million thanks indeed!
                    Last edited by starion88esir; 05-27-2008, 09:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    97 GSX600F
                    76 CB750F
                    71 CB175

Comment

An FYI, but the PDF download of the Carbs 101 Manual has a billion pictures. I'm a visual learner too, and downloading the carbs 101 PDF helped a TON!
                      My Geeky Finance Blog.

Comment

Originally posted by zspencer View Post
                        An FYI, but the PDF download of the Carbs 101 Manual has a billion pictures. I'm a visual learner too, and downloading the carbs 101 PDF helped a TON!
                        Thanks, I will go ahead and download it then. I assumed it weas exactly what was in the post.
                        97 GSX600F
                        76 CB750F
                        71 CB175

Comment

Nope. It's amazing. each bullet point has pics.
                          My Geeky Finance Blog.

Comment

Working...
                          X