Redlines at idle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redlines at idle

Ok,

Here is an interesting one. I took my bike out for a ride around the block. Was doing fine for the first half. Opened her up all the way and it redlined with the throttle released and the clutch in. Got it shut down. Pushed it all the way home (not fun -- will save for another post).

Now, anytime I start the bike, it maxes out. I totally disconnected the throttle cable at the grip, same thing. Figured the throttle valves were stuck. As I took the carbs off, I noticed that the idle adjustment flexi-shaft was broken.

Question: Could this have caused throttle valves to open up??? Maybe when it broke, the adjuster threaded itself in and opened the valves slightly?

Throttle valves seem to be closing fully with the adjuster backed off. Don't really want to put it all back together unless I am confident that its fixed.

Second question: anyone got a spare adjust they want to let go? Ron wants 26 bucks for a new one.

Thanks for your help!!!1
    Last edited by Adequateman; 05-26-2008, 07:53 AM.

what year?

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
      what year?
      Crap. '88 600. Stupid noobs

Comment

I got a 98+ adjuster sitting right here. It's not the same, the way it mounts is different, but you can really easy make it work, PM me.

Comment

You've got mail.

Comment

After checking the shop manual, it looks like your 600 carbs have a one piece diaphram/trottle slide. Open your carbs and check to see if if they have any rips, tears or punctures. Every time you twist the trottle they get sucked up into the top part of the carb, so after 20 years of movement they can wear out. Either that or one could have gotten sucked up there and never dropped back down, leaving a wide-open-throttle on one cylinder.

Comment

Originally posted by rowdyontheroad View Post
              After checking the shop manual, it looks like your 600 carbs have a one piece diaphram/trottle slide. Open your carbs and check to see if if they have any rips, tears or punctures. Every time you twist the trottle they get sucked up into the top part of the carb, so after 20 years of movement they can wear out. Either that or one could have gotten sucked up there and never dropped back down, leaving a wide-open-throttle on one cylinder.
              Ok thanks, I'll take a look. Wouldn't the throttle valves (buterflies) need to be open somehow to let enough air in to redline?? I would think a ripped diaphram would just richen it up / flood it out.

Comment

Working...
              X