Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Broke off something while changing the oil...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broke off something while changing the oil...

There is some metal that comes down off of the oil pan and circles halfway around the drain plug. Do you guys know what that is?

I broke off a peice of it while trying to change the oil with improper tools. No oil is leaking but I wanted to make sure that it isn't an important peice to the bike...doesn't seem like it is to me though.
    1999 Suzuki Katana 750

I'm not sure,

But see what happens when you dont use the right tools.....go to WAL-Mart and buy a cheap socket set, it will save you lots of time, money, and heartache.

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

After my girlfriend saw my struggles..she bought me a 143 peice Craftsman toolset for my birthday. A little too late but nonetheless I have the right tools now!
      1999 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter Scott View Post
        After my girlfriend saw my struggles..she bought me a 143 peice Craftsman toolset for my birthday. A little too late but nonetheless I have the right tools now!
        hmmmm, bring her for a visit, i'm sure i can find something to struggle with that a proper tool can be bought for,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
        99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
        1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
        '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
        Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Whats the piece look like ?? Metal?? Its not leaking? make sure you tighten the drain plug with your new socket set. Take it for a ride check for leaks.

Comment

It's there to protect the plug.
            98 Integra GSR
            96 Kat 750

Don't be like me

Comment

Sounds like a crush washer.I always get one when I do a oil change just in case I over tighten the drain plug

Comment

I would say he is talking about that metal "lip" that protrudes around the drain plug to protect it as was already mentioned. If it was in fact just that lip than as long as the pan wasn't cracked and there is no oil leak it shouldn't matter. People grind it down anyways when they add that oil valve thing the fumoto (sp?) to prevent stripping the drain plug threads.
                Kirk

Comment

It's a race thing, I think. It's designed to protect the plug in case of a hard crash. During track runs, people drill a hole and attach a safety wire for the plug. Not a big deal as long as you didn't crack the pan itself.
                  Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                  -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                  -Terence

Comment

I cut mine off for the fumoto. No worries unless there is a crack.
                    -2000 "750"

Comment

Working...
                    X