X

oil leak

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil leak

i noticed some oil running down the side of my right fairing. anyways there is a bolt right under the valve cover towards the front of the head. i am pretty sure that is where the oil is coming from. the frame is in the way so i can't fit an allen wrench in there to tighten it. a fews weeks back i used visegrips to loosen it and i put teflon tape on it then tightened it back up with the visegrips. it seemed to resolve the problem but nope it has been leaking again. anyone ever had this problem? i am not 100% sure it is that bolt but i am almost positive. if it is that how do i tighten it with the frame being in the way?

i dont know ? but have you tried to remove the tank to get to the bolt in question. im shure you could get to it that way. when i first got my bike it was leaking oil everywhere from the cover gasket had it replaced when i got the valves adjusted fixed it right up.

Comment

all i have to do is remove the fairing to get to it. i actually had to take a notch out of an allen wrench to get to it. lol. and i couldn't tighten it anymore than it already is...i am really frustrated, i guess i will need to order a new bolt and pray that works

Comment

By your reference to the "Frame being in the way, I think you are refering to the Rocker Arm shaft bolt and crush washer. Part # 29 and 30 on here http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/.../CYLINDER_HEAD
        This I used for an example. If this is indeed where the oil is coming from, then you need to replace the copper crush washer. Although Ron Ayers lists it as discontinued, the part is readily avalible at your local zuki dealer. Crush washers are crush washers. They are still used on bikes today. They will be able to look up the diameter and get you the correct one for that bolt.

That bolt doesnt need to be removed for any reason unless you are rebuilding the head. Teflon tape will not seal like a crush washer will.

Before you run out and buy stuff you dont need, Clean the area up well with simple green or some other cleaner, then run her a bit and look for oil. Since its a moving motor cycle, wind can and does make oil flow in odd directions.
        If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
        Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
          By your reference to the "Frame being in the way, I think you are refering to the Rocker Arm shaft bolt and crush washer. Part # 29 and 30 on here http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/.../CYLINDER_HEAD
          This I used for an example. If this is indeed where the oil is coming from, then you need to replace the copper crush washer. Although Ron Ayers lists it as discontinued, the part is readily avalible at your local zuki dealer. Crush washers are crush washers. They are still used on bikes today. They will be able to look up the diameter and get you the correct one for that bolt.

That bolt doesnt need to be removed for any reason unless you are rebuilding the head. Teflon tape will not seal like a crush washer will.

Before you run out and buy stuff you dont need, Clean the area up well with simple green or some other cleaner, then run her a bit and look for oil. Since its a moving motor cycle, wind can and does make oil flow in odd directions.
          sweet awesome

one more thing. how do i remove that bolt? i can get it so far out but then the frame is in the way. do i need to lower or raise the motor to get to it?
          Last edited by redkatana; 05-14-2008, 09:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Well, if you need to remove the bolt, then you will have to lower the motor. Since you'd be just dropping it enough to clear the frame, you might not have to disconnect a lot of things. Id first suggest to clean the area well and run it to make positively sure that that is indeed the leak source before I recommend going thru all the pain of trying to lower the motor.

If you find that it is indeed the source of the leak, Personally, Since you used vise grips on it originally, I would just get a new bolt as well as the crush. I hate having to do something twice. But a new crush is designed to make up for variances. Hence why its called a crush washer.

BTW, you cant "raise" the motor in a Kat, not easily anyhow.. motor come out the bottom like a baby does.
            If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
            Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Working...
            X