X

Put in gear engine dies

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put in gear engine dies

97 Kat 600, When I put the bike in gear the engine dies. It will start right back up.
    It was working fine, I have been working through some issues. I got it running , I could tool up and down the drive way fine. Replaced coils now when I put in gear the engine dies. What is up with that?
    Do I need to adjust the clutch cable or something?

Originally posted by 97-Katana600 View Post
    Do I need to adjust the clutch cable or something?
    In a word: Yes
    Too old to dream, too young to reason...
    I am fond of my rough edges.
    sigpic

Comment

there was a post about this exact same issue like a month ago. You may wanna do a little search as I'm pretty sure that issue was resolved although I dont remember the specifics.
      sigpicIn Memory Of Troy Allen Bell
      RIP 06/24/53 - 01/08/08
      I Miss You Pop
      2006 GSX1300R Hayabusa
      BMC aif filter,Lowered,Small air box mod,Bar riserers

Comment

Could the kickstand be screwed up? I know it kills the engine when you put into gear and the kickstand's down.....maybe the sensor or w/e is in there thinks it's still down when he shifts?
        2005 Katana 600

Comment

my katana did that if I tried to take off before it was warm, try letting it warm up a bit more first...

other than that I agree with the kickstand and clutch adjustment
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Kickstand killswitch is probably the most likely, and easiest to take care of, go after tha first.

Comment

+1 for kickstand switch!

Comment

+2
                -2000 "750"

Comment

+3, Make sure to follow the wiring, Its a little bit of a pain to do, But theres actually two bullet connectors behind the motor, under the battery box and in front of the shock tucked so far out of the way it is a pain to get to them.

Reason I third +'d on the sidestand thing is it will shut it off instantly if the bike thinks the kick is down.. Weather it be a dirty bullet connector (referenced above) or possibly bad switch itsself. When the switch is in all the way, the system is normally a closed loop. If something is wrong, like the kick down or a corroded wire, they the loops open and will shut down the bike instantly.

Its Not your clutch cable.
                  If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                  Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

I once forgot to fully tighten the bolt that holds on the lower fairing right by the kickstand. This wouldn't let the kickstand come up fully and thus the bike would occasionally cut out and come back. And it is an INSTANT cut out.
                    -2000 "750"

Comment

Place on center stand- rear wheel off the ground- start in neutral, pull clutch, shift to 1st- if it starts spinning with the clutch still pulled its the clutch- if it still dies its electrical-
                      2006 750 Kat
                      Shovel Delete, Clear Integrated Tail, Mesh Mod, D&D Slip On, LEDs-

Comment

Wrong, The tire will still spin with the clutch held in on the centerstand. Even if brand new. The "spin" will be lessened if the oil is already hot, however it will turn the rear wheel when its on the centerstand. When the oils cold, friction between the clutch and plates with the oil will make the tire spin. The same applies to warm oil, tho it wont spin as fast.
                        If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                        Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

I'm having the exact same problem, which is actually why I was around tonight. In my case, slowly trying to put it into gear produces some gear grind.

Agree with these guys, though--instant stop without wheel turning=kickstand switch. Gear noise=clutch problems.

Going to replace my clutch cable and perch (age and PO, respectively) then do a full adjustment as per the thread in the FAQ section, and suggest you do the same to start.

Comment

Working...
                          X