X

What's in katana's radiator?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's in katana's radiator?

what's in the katanas (gsx600f K1) radiators (the one in front of the engine) oil or cooling liquid? cuz i've notice i'm loosing some liquid trough the cable that goes in the radiator and i need to drain that liquid and replace that cable but i'm not sure if it's oil or somthing else.
    any ideeas?
    Attached Files

It's an oil cooler the Katana doesn't have a radiator.
    96 Katana 600
    97 4 door Blazer LT
    03 Honda Pilot EXL
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by knox View Post
      what's in the katanas (gsx600f K1) radiators (the one in front of the engine) oil or cooling liquid? cuz i've notice i'm loosing some liquid trough the cable that goes in the radiator and i need to drain that liquid and replace that cable but i'm not sure if it's oil or somthing else.
      any ideeas?
      most people overhere will name it an oil cooler (allthough it's the same )

it's containing oil,
      you don't have to drain it, all you need to do is loosen the banjobolts on top off the radiator (sorry cooler ) and at the engine, then exchange the oileline (hose) which is leaking.

Comment

ok.. but what kind of oil goes in that "oil cooler" is the same engine oil 10W40 or is a separate container that cools down the oil witch circulates around the engine.. cuz i still don't get it

Comment

Originally posted by knox View Post
          ok.. but what kind of oil goes in that "oil cooler" is the same engine oil 10W40 or is a separate container that cools down the oil witch circulates around the engine.. cuz i still don't get it
          it's part on the engine oil path,when you fill the engine it will fill the cooler when circulated.

Comment

From Merriam-Webster online:
            Main Entry: ra·di·a·tor Pronunciation: \ˈrā-dē-ˌā-tər, dialect ˈra-\ Function: noun Date: 1836 : one that radiates: as any of various devices (as a series of pipes or tubes) for transferring heat from a fluid within to an area or object outside.

Man, you guys are terrible at answering basic questions.

Knox, The oil-cooling radiator on your Katana is an air-to-oil heat exchanger that cools the oil that circulates thru the engine- the same oil you replace when you remove the oil pan drain plug and change the oil. Most motorcycles, including Katanas, have one oil supply that serves several functions: engine lubrication, transmission lubrication, and cooling (via the device you asked about.) The answer to your last question, "is the same engine oil 10W40 or is a separate container that cools down the oil witch circulates around the engine?" is that the engine oil (10W40, in the example you used) and the oil that circulates around (inside) the engine) is the same oil. There is no other cooling medium for your Kat's motor, except the air that flows past the cooling fins cast into the head and cylinder assemblies.

From where you indicated the leak is coming from, you will need to replace the line and hose assembly on that side of the motor. Very good picture, by the way. At lease someone here knows how to communicate his ideas...
            "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

thanks for your answer StevieB.
              now I got it!

Comment

Very good answer Stevie!

That part is the same for all 600 cc Katanas built before 1998. You might also be able to use a complete oil radiator (including lines) off a newer 600 or any year 750. It may require some work to get the 750 or 1998 and newer 600 radiator to fit. If you find one we can double check that it will work for you..
                The part is about $60 new if your Suzuki dealer can get it. Keep in mind if you replace the line you need 4 new washers! Also tighten the lines carefully. If you are in the USA I would PM Arsenic to see if he has a line for you..

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB View Post
                  Man, you guys are terrible at answering basic questions.
                  I beg you pardon?
                  Imo I did answer his question.

Knox, The oil-cooling radiator on your Katana is an air-to-oil heat exchanger
                  actually it's an oil-to-air heat exchanger

At lease someone here knows how to communicate his ideas...

Comment

hey, wtf? I'm the smartass here.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                      hey, wtf? I'm the smartass here.
                      nag nag

Like I told yah cappie....

I'm a good pupil (and since B_p tells everybody I'm grumpy I can do that without hesitation)

Comment

you and me Roger, we're on BP's crap list, I don't feel so alone now

Comment

I had my oil line fail at the bottom portion of that flexible hose. I replaced with a used from ebay and it was fixed.

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                          Keep in mind if you replace the line you need 4 new washers! Also tighten the lines carefully.
                          I would add since your gonna be in there, replace the rubber O-ring at the top as well.
                          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                            you and me Roger, we're on BP's crap list, I don't feel so alone now

Yeah I know Chris, imho pure jealousy

Must be hard not being able to get those fairings back on...
                            (If he'd only ask me, I'd certainly help)

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
                            I would add since your gonna be in there, replace the rubber O-ring at the top as well.
                            no rubber ring on my cooler

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
                              As Kwebbel said, the 750 and newer 600s have the flange and o-ring. The older 600 and some GSX-Rs have crush washers.

Kwebbel, I'm only Jealous of the fresh Duvel and the Moules Et Frites

Comment

Working...
                              X