X

Never wants to start, what's wrong?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never wants to start, what's wrong?

First off, the bike runs great once it's going. It's just strange, it is not reliable at all when it comes to starting. It always takes a little more cranking than it should to kick over. There are weeks at a time that it will start every day. Sometimes, though, it decides that it doesn't even want to turn over. After a while of cranking and not firing, it obviously floods. So I'll pull the plugs and hit them and the cyclinders with some ether to help them dry. It's got spark and it's obviously got fuel. Tried firing it up with ether and nothing. Now what's really wierd is that if I leave it sit for a couple days, it'll start right up. I'm tired of dealing with this thing. I don't want to worry about being stranded if I go somewhere. If I want to take it for a ride, I don't want to have to tear it all apart and rebuild it just to get it started. Do you guys have any Ideas? If I can't get it right here in a couple days, I'm buying a new bike.
    Some people carry on
    Some just stay right where they are
    Our worlds divide

How much ya want for it?

Kidding.

It sounds like you may actually be getting weak spark. Checked the battery and the ignition coils to see what they are putting out? It sound slike a possible weak spark issue resulting from the battery, coil pack, coil wires, or plugs. I assume the choke is on when you are firing it up for the first time and you get nothing? How about putting it on prime and trying the same thing? I know mine is a bear to get started when its colder then 60 degrees. Now that its warming up she's gone from running right to running rich.

Let us know.

Comment

Sounds like I would be in the market for a new bike, and a sucker for the old one lol

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

I'll check the output of the coils tonight. The plugs and battery are practically new. It does throw a visable blue spark but, it looks weak(in my opinion). If I get a new bike though, I'll probably part this one out. I would love to sell it as a whole unit but, I need to get back some of the money I put into this thing. I mean it's practically a brand new 1990. Fkn thing just aggrivates me so much, I seriously almost threw it over because I was so angry Saturday.
        Some people carry on
        Some just stay right where they are
        Our worlds divide

Comment

Working...
        X