X

Clutch problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch problem

Hi, I recently purchased a '92 1100 Kat. The bike has a problem with the clutch. When I pull the lever in the clutch drags. When I blip the engine it momentarily pulls ahead slghtly before disengaging.
    If it was a cable I would simply adjust it. I don't feel any slip at any speed or rpm. My gut feeling is that the slave cylinder needs to be disassembled and cleaned or replaced.

Does anyone have any insight to share?
    Pawl

Well, since there isnt a "Slave cylinder" on the Katana engines.. Cleaning one would be pretty simple. I would say that it sounds more like you need to do a cable adjustment.

When you blip the throttle and it pulls ahead.? Is this when you first start the motor and the engines still cold? Which oil are you using as well?
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Actually, the 1100 Kat have a hydraulic clutch - no cable. Is there an adjustment on the slave to set clutch push rod travel? Did you try bleeding the hydraulic system, maybe as simple as some air trapped in there.
      2000 Katana 600
      2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Hi, thanks for the input. Problem solved. I removed and cleaned the clutch release cylinder (sometimes called a slave cylinder), cleaned the clutch push rod and reinstalled. Then bled the entire system and "hey presto" all is well.
        The push rod had a large lump of crud on it from thrown on by the small sprocket and the piston and cylinder had a light ring of crud.
        I believe the crud was making the cylinder and rod hang up which reduced the travel on the push rod causing the clutch to only partialy disengage.

Now if only the carbs were this easy.
        Pawl

Comment

Ahh, I stand corrected, I wasn't aware the 1100's were a hydro clutch LOL I rescind my statement above then
          If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
          Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

good job fellas. way to not let pride get the best of ya
            sigpic
            93 GSX600F

Comment

Working...
            X