X

Strange idle problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange idle problem

I just finished cleaning up my carbs, on my 93 600f kat, new plugs, set my float height to 14.5 mm and my A/F needles to 1.75 turns open, eliminated the inline fuel filters, they were causing me fuel starvation problems, now the bike starts ok, i set my idle to 1,500 rpms but as soon I accelerate and come to a stop the idle stays to 3,000 to 4,000 rpms, then slowly will come down to 1,500 (after 4 minutes), or if I shut down the engine and start her again without touching the throttle it would idle ok at 1,500 rpm until I accelerate again, I checked my throttle cable and thats ok, its new, and I even removed the cable from the carbs just to see and also checked the butterfly mechanisms for binding and thats ok too, i ran out of ideas, also carbs were sync. any ideas guys? Thanks Harry

Does the idle vary if you move the bars from left to right? If so, you need to back the idle adjustment screw all the way out. Then go back and adjust the throttle cables again. Then turn the idle screw in until it just touches metal. Start the engine and let it warm up, then adjust your idle from there.

Comment

I did that already and still the same...

Comment

Sticking choke cable maybe?

Comment

Checked that too, as matter of fact I even disconnected it, and its brand new also....

Comment

yeah, Harry your running REALLY lean. Who told you to set the pilot screws at 1.75, I didn't do that, put them at 2.5 turns out.

Comment

I did set them to 1.75 due to it was acting strange at 2.5 turns, you think i should try 2 turns?

Comment

can't hurt, but 1.75 is too lean, I know that

Comment

cool! Ill try that then!

Comment

Also might be a vac leak. Spray the boots motorside and airbox side. Both ends with something like WD -40 or if your daring... ether. If the idle climbs, you found a source of running leaner as well. Check your air box puke tube as well, Make sure its capped off.
                    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Dammit!I'm experiencing the exact same problem with my 92. I was ready to give it up and try to live with it.After reading this, ran out, checked the puke tube and guess what...IT'S MISSING!! Could this be the problem?Should I plug it?

Comment

sync the carbs

Comment

Originally posted by fededr View Post
                          Dammit!I'm experiencing the exact same problem with my 92. I was ready to give it up and try to live with it.After reading this, ran out, checked the puke tube and guess what...IT'S MISSING!! Could this be the problem?Should I plug it?
                          It could be part of the problem. Plug the tube so its not getting more air then it should. Just remember to drain the tube now and then. You can expect to get a mix of oil and sometimes gas out of the tube when you drain it so dont be surprised by the black sludge.
                          If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                          Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by fededr View Post
                            that couldn't be the problem, that IS the problem.

Comment

Alrighty then!I'll be removing air box Saturday, first thing in the morning.Today I spent most part of Labor Day solving clutch issues. I filed the clutch basket with a needle file. My fingers hurt so bad I can barely type!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X