X

Crash - storage - white smoke

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crash - storage - white smoke

My bike was laid down a little over a year ago and last weekend I finally had the time to get back to putting it together. I started it for the first time and it ran like crap. I checked the oil and noticed that it was full of gas. Changed the oil (4+ qts?!?) and it starts WAY easier and idles nicely but there is tons of white smoke pouring out the exhaust and it does not want to rev.

I was wondering what would cause the gas to get into the oil and did it eat any seals etc or is the problem with the carbs? Also there is an oil leak dripping straight down from the exhaust, right where the collector is. Any ideas where that might be coming from before I go tearing it apart?

Its a 02 750 with very low miles and was running perfectly before the crash so I really hope its a problem with the fuel delivery and nothing internal

As for the higher fuel levels showing in the oil, I got a question, Was the petcock set to Prime or reserve? Either way, i think you have a little bit of a Carb Problem. Gas getting past the floats means the floats have issues. Old gas sucks now. After a few weeks its at a level of Lawn mower equipment. So might want to take a peek at the Carbs 101 in the "How to" section

As for the oil leak, You need to find it. Whether you remove the tank or peek through the fairings while its running. You need to spot whats leaking. Since you said its "Where the collector is" Well, thats mid ship, Could be the valve cover or an spark plug galley (you didnt say if it was at speed when you noticed the leak) Could be a hole in the hose to the oil cooler.

We would need a bit more info and some searching on your part to narrow down where the oil leaks coming from.
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Did you tighten the drain plug correctly when you changed the oil? The plug wasn't stripped was it? The carbs caused your oil/gas problem, and they are probably causing your reving problem as you haven't cleaned them after old gas sat in them for a year.

Comment

Thanks for the responses!

Newbie2it - It was set to "on". I think I was a little unclear about where its dripping from, the actual drip comes around the exhaust pipe right where the pipe connects to the headers.

elkat - I did verify the oil leak is not from the drain plug and since the gas tank was empty (all of it ended up in the oil :/) I put fresh gas in.

Comment

Working...
        X