X

Cleaned my carbs... now it revs high

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaned my carbs... now it revs high

I have a 2000 750 Kat, I did a bit of work to it over the winter, I read carbs 101 and have the Haynes manual. I took the carbs apart and cleaned them. I set the floats at 13mm (Canadian eh) and set the idle screw to 3 turns out. I fired it up and it idled ok for the first 5 minutes or so and then the revs started to climb and climb. I shut it down and fired it back up and it reved between 3000 and 4000. I haven't synced the carbs yet. I also noticed that I didn't need as much choke (enricher) as I remembered from last fall. If the bike is running rich would this cause the rise in rpms as the motor warms up?

Did you take them apart from each other or just off the bike...?
    Did you at least attempt to match up the throttle plates using a shim or something?
    If not then you def need a sync...
    Did you mess with the main idle adjust screw?
    Possible vacuum leak?
    1993 Kat 600 - (Parts bike)
    1994 Kat 600 - Jardine full exhaust, Factory Pro Jet Kit, Pirelli Diablo Stradas, Fender CHOPPED, repainted plastics and tank

Comment

Check where the cable goes into the carbs, and make sure you have it screwed all the way in. Check the idle screw after that.

Comment

Comment

if all else fails pull them apart an clean slides again (last resort)

Comment

Last I knew 14.6 +/- 1mm was standard Didnt know Canadians had their own way of converting that mesurement Eh. Floats are set wrong to start with.

Also three turns out IF its all stock is a bit rich. A synch after would help.
            If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
            Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
              Last I knew 14.6 +/- 1mm was standard.
              not on a post, float level is correct. And what gave you the idea 3 turns out was a good thing

Comment

I stand corrected on the Post Issue LOL Thanks for the nudge there Chris

Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

It seems my problem may have been the idle adjust screw, I backed it off a bit and it idled better, well enough to atempt to sync the carbs for the first time.
                  I set the pilot screw at 3 turns out according to the Haynes manual.

Comment

BS the Haynes manual states A/F screws are "preset" it doesn't tell you to adjust them to 3.

Comment

Haynes says the US models are preset, the Canadian models are 3 turns out. I have a copy of the manual that I downloaded and the hard copy and both say 3. Although all the other specs for the carbs are the same for both US and Canada, makes me think the screws should be the same both sides of the border. Does anyone know what the factory setting is for US models?

Comment

Usually around 2 1/2 to 2 5/8 should be right on for stock.

Comment

from the factory it's 1 7/8 which is WAY to lean. 2.5 is right on the money, thats what I go to

Comment

Working...
                          X