X

Second guessing maintenanace

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second guessing maintenanace

As part of the spring program for my '90 750 Kat (27,182 showing on the odometer) I have a whole list of maintenance items that were planned. On the list was pulling the carbs for a complete cleaning, and pulling the valve cover for a valve adjustment. I pulled the tank today and the pics below show what I found. Not near the goo, grime, and dirt i expected. There looks to be a small blowby leak around the crankcase breather cover, but it's all dry, not wet oily goo. The carbs also show no outward signs of leaks or goo. All in all, conciderably cleaner than I expected.

The Kat ran well with no hesitations thru the entire throttle range last fall when put up for winter. No leaks, drips, or runs of engine fluids. The carbs were drained after seafoam being run thru, and the filters on both fuel lines are very clean. I still plan on new air filter, plugs, complete oil change to synthetic and a fresh carb sync. Where the second guessing lies is, do i just wipe things down and make sure the breather cover and hose is snug, do the plugs and sync, and leave well enough alone? Or do I start doin extra work such as doin the valve adjustment and tearing the carbs down.

99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
    Lookin for a new Enduro project

I would do it just for the peice of mind of knowing it was done and is good, that is if you don't mind.

Comment

Hey shakey Mcshake..
      Lay off the sauce or get a new camera!!

Or is the engine really fuzzy like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
        Hey shakey Mcshake..

HAHAHAH

and I would do the valves. Then I know they are all good

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
          Hey shakey Mcshake..

LMAO, When I was reading that I just saw the top of the first pic, but saw it was blurry, I was hoping the rest would get better, But Damn I was wrong LOL.
          If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
          Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

dont ya love cell phone cameras? it dont focus close and resolution is for chit. I could use the other camera but the pics are well over a meg in size which is too large for posting. Aint like i'm Ansel Addams either. Maybe if i cleaned the lens?

Y'all are right. I guess I was tryin to talk myself out of the extra work. Do it once, and do it right. My luck, the PO prolly never did a valve adjustment in the poor beastie's 27k life. I really do want my baby to have a nice, long life. (hangs head in shame for even thinking to ask)
            Last edited by DumbLuck; 04-18-2008, 01:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
            1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
            '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
            Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Doesnt Matter what size pic you take.. Use this or other hosting sites. They will crop your image for your need, and allow the user to see the full large version if they so feel the need.. http://www.imageshack.us/

Check it out. Its free.
              If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
              Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Working...
              X