X

Need Advice On Exhaust Headers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice On Exhaust Headers

Working on my 98 600, looks like the PO put the wrong headers on this bike not to mention not sealing them to the exhaust itself. Thinking this is my idle problem (don't know why it didn't click before) I asked and found that it is from a Bandit not a Kat. Will this still work? How do I secure it back to the muffler? If it won't work, where can I find a used stock exhaust dirt cheap? Appreciate the help, this site has been awesome for me.

yes, it'll work, use hi-temp sealer.

Comment

i have a stock exhaust from the midpipe to the silencer. if you can find headers i can cut you a good deal

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        yes, it'll work, use hi-temp sealer.
        Thanks for the fast response.
        There seems to be a gap at the headers, if I can post pics I will take a shot here in a minute. But is there anyway to get rid of this gap or is that normal? So any hi-temp sealant from Auto Zone and the sort will work? Does this affect how the bike idles at all?

Originally posted by Edbean View Post
        i have a stock exhaust from the midpipe to the silencer. if you can find headers i can cut you a good deal
        I was looking for headers earlier (used) and came up empty.
        Last edited by jeepsoldier; 04-14-2008, 09:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

are you missing a gasket???

If your loosing engine pressure in a combustion engine your bike wont work

Comment

Originally posted by Edbean View Post

are you missing a gasket???

If your loosing engine pressure in a combustion engine your bike wont work
            I may be.... I will have to look again and possibly take them off to make sure they are set in there right. Something about them looks off. I see what looks like about a 1/4" or so gasket, might not be the right one. I can see the screws between the header and the motor in front of the gasket. Is that normal?

Comment

lol dont think so

take your headers off youll find your answer in a hurry

Comment

Yeah, me neither. I just went out and had another look, they are leaking air (at least #1 is) and took some pictures. For the record, #1 is slow to heat up while the other three are hot in an instant.

Comment

ok well you have a leak thats gunna make it impossible to run smooth and you dont have any engine pressure in #1 so that would explain it. If the headers were on there right and you had that problem Id say your carbs need to be cleaned/adjusted or you need new spark plugs.

but its the header leak so good luck

Comment

That's what they look like. Any ideas?
                    Last edited by jeepsoldier; 04-14-2008, 10:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

ohhh you have a pre98... ok little diff.... but ya your just missing the gasket i think.

Comment

Pre? I thought this was a 98? Says MFG 12/97 and USAA has it listed as a 98 as well?

Time to rack, I will check back in the morning.
                        Last edited by jeepsoldier; 04-14-2008, 10:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

springs, that's new. I'm not saying it's wrong, I just don't do Bandit stuff. That gap is not wrong, it HAS to be there. The springs need a place to go.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                            springs, that's new. I'm not saying it's wrong, I just don't do Bandit stuff. That gap is not wrong, it HAS to be there. The springs need a place to go.
                            I was wondering about those.

Comment

ya i dont know sh*t about bandits

Comment

Working...
                              X