Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Trying to fix friends Kat, having some strange idle issues.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to fix friends Kat, having some strange idle issues.

First off, we do not have an owners manual and I haven't been able to locate one, so a lot of easy or stupid questions that might have otherwise been answered there will crop up. Anyway, we've been trying to get the bike running after fixing a fuel leak in the carbs. When we try and start the bike it only seems to start in what I'm told is the "prime" setting and constantly gains climbs revs to the point where i need to kill the bike. What could be going on here to cause this and what do I need to do?

lets start with telling us more info about the bike
    like what yr, engine, and mods done

Comment

Oops, he was rushing me, forgot to add the basics.

92 GSX-750F, all stock. I have experience working on cars, but not carbed bikes. so this is all a bit new to me.

Comment

was it running fine before the fuel leak?

Comment

it's the throttle cable, make sure it's all the way down in the carbs. That's why the RPM's are shooting way up.

Comment

Thanks. Will test and get back to you.

Comment

agree with arsenic.

Comment

What should the throttle cable at the bars be set to?

Also; it looks as if the cable is into the carbs. How exactly can I verify that it IS deep enough inside?

Comment

Yep make sure you can hear a distinct clicking sound from the carbs when you let the throttle close. If you don't hear that it's stuck open ... I did that myself the first time I did a valve adjustment and fouled 4 plugs in the process

Originally posted by GoLambo View Post
                  What should the throttle cable at the bars be set to?

Also; it looks as if the cable is into the carbs. How exactly can I verify that it IS deep enough inside?

The throttle cables both attach to a round deal with a groove in the center where the cable rests. Should be very easy to spot from the top since they attach the the throttle plate arm thingamajigger right in between the center two carbs.

You'll have to just play with the settings, I believe if you tighten up the connectors at the bars you'r loosening the cables (might have that backwards though) .. but you can also adjust them where they hook to the carbs by adjusting the nut on each cable.

Took me about an hour to a hour and a half to get it right.

Oh and search as well ... I'm sure there's a howto here somewhere
                  Last edited by Kila-Beave; 04-09-2008, 09:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  - Beave

1998 Katana 600 - Traded
                  2005 F4i -

Comment

he has a 92 750, only 1 throttle cable.

Originally posted by creepinghunter View Post
                    agree with arsenic.
                    that's a good thing too do
                    Last edited by arsenic; 04-09-2008, 09:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                    X