X

At My Wits End!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At My Wits End!

Ok so my bike, for god knows what reasons, runs rich. I keep fouling my plugs, which left me stranded a week ago in the desert, in the blistering sun, with my icon leather jacket and no shade sun screen or beautiful mirage women. why o why jesus christ? that did it for me. I was so ****ed that i decided right then and there that its going to be sold. i love my kat but i think she's more trouble than she's worth. i really have no more money to invest in her so i'm going to sell it. BUT before i do, i want to get a good last ride out of her at least. ok so here's the problem

I changed the plugs, set my a/f screws 2 turns out. Stock air filter stock needles shimmed 1 washer, 112.5main jets stock everything pretty much except plugs. i'm using the ngk iridiums. Its a 93 kat 600

ok so WTF? my thoughts (and i use that term loosely)
    1. weak battery
    a. battery is new, and charges, and holds charge.(i've let it sit for 2 weeks and it would start right up with choke on.

2. weak spark. cuz i am running rich (only when i twist the throttle) and i'm not burning off excess gas
    a. ok maybe, i haven't tested it, but i'm assume i'm getting spark cuz it will run, CDI unit(s) weak? perhaps.

3. Carb problem i.e. A/f or main jets or fuel height
    a. i set floats at stock setting. which is .57" or 14.7 mm which ever you prefer metric or standard
    b. a/f screws- ok 2 turns out which it not lean not rich,BUT my o-rings are a little worn inside the o rings
    c. main jets- 112.5 all the way across. i could put on 105s on because i notice when i twist the throttle, black smoke will comeout. so i could lean it out by putting smaller mains.
    d. carbs are balanced as far as i can tell. i visually balanced them using a thread around here, and then put the gauges on them and balanced again.
    e. I did a full carb teardown and used berrymans carb dip to clean everything, which i'm guessing worked, cuz now i'm getting more fuel and my plugs are black like my new sketchers. (go figure)

4. compression
    a. worn rings, cylinder walls? does oil come out black through the exhaust? i thought it would be white. plugs are full of carbon deposits(me thinks just like cars), easily cleaned off, not oily. or could i be wrong? vice versa-oil that doesnt burn off leaves carbon deposits ie therefore fouling my plugs and if it was gas, it would be wet looking? hmmm bass ackwards?

5. user control problem
    a. I dont know WTF i'm doing so leave me alone

I'm asking my fellow kr family to help quell my anger, if anyone wants to donate me a gixxer or let me ride theirs, that would suffice for a day or two. I dont want to sell it but i have no choice. i would really like to get it running well, no back fire, enriched plugs, for maybe a trade in, instead of selling it. Any help is appreciated thanks guys!
    Last edited by KenpachiZaraki; 04-06-2008, 09:55 PM. Reason: i forgot something dammit!!! GEEZ
    Captain of Squad 11

"It just quit" like... the gauges went dead or it shut off or what?
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

no i fouled my plugs, and i drainedthe battery too. so i got stuck out there
      i should mention that i got an advancer and put it on that day, and iwas getting some nasty afterfires after i keep trying to start it up. i put the stock rotor on, and i got it to run, BUT i'm still running rich and i'm thinking it the o rings on the a/f screws
      Captain of Squad 11

Comment

Check for sticking floats, or incorrect float height/s. Are you seeing alot of black smoke out of the tail pipe?

Comment

no i dont think my floats are sticking, i did change the the o rings on thefloats, which did help a little. i guess after messing with the carbs so much and pulling the floats out, they start wearing out. i do still get black smoke, but its not as much as i used to. i do hear popping too coming from the exhaust, telling me its running rich, so i ordered the a/f mixture screw o rings. i did notice they were a little beat up. i'm hoping that that will fix it.
          Captain of Squad 11

Comment

well that all depends. If you hear popping when you let off the throttle it isn't rich, it's lean.

Comment

no i'm not hearing it after i let off the throttle. i'm hearing it while it idles, and i'm not messing with the throttle. AND my plugs are black! so i am rich and i need to lean it out, but i'm hoping the a/f orings will quell the problem
              Captain of Squad 11

Comment

Working...
              X