X

Turns Over but will not start.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turns Over but will not start.

Last weekend i got the bike back out. Well it started fine and i rode it back to the house. As soon as i got it back to the house it just died on me. When i give the kat gas it seems like it kills the motor. But that was when i could crank it up. Now when i try to start it i can hear it turn over and try to crank but doesnt fire up. I had a filter between to gas tank and the hose to the carb. but this was not cloged up. Just in case i took it off and ran a striaght hose and made sure gas was flowing threw it. I check inside the carb vavles and pressed the needles up and down to see if any of them were sticking and none were. I adjusted the choke cable to make sure it was adjusting the choke properly. Another thing after i let it crank for awhile the bike then back fires after two seconds of stoping. The spark plugs smelled like gas and so i made sure i disconected the yoshimra pipe before i cranked it to make sure that there was no gas in the exhaust system. I have ran out of ideas. Do any of you have any. Thanks.
    Last edited by blackraven; 04-02-2008, 12:06 PM.

this might be long shot, but i had a battery that was strong enough to run the bike until it drop below some unknown voltage. then it would back fire and sometimes die completely while i was riding. it took a couple days before i figured out that the plugs werent getting the power that they wanted.

if you see a major difference in the brightness of your headlight between idle and when you tap your gas, this could be your source.

for your sake, i hope this is your problem. its a nice cheap problem...the best kind.

Comment

try turning your petcoak to prime for a min to get gas to your carbs with your bike sitting for a long period the carbs are dry and needs gas
      sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

Troubleshooting this should be pretty simple. You need gas and spark for the engine to run. If you have confirmed you have gas, then you dont have or dont have sufficient spark.

Pull your plugs to make sure they are not fouled. If they are, replace the plugs and figure out why they fouled before you do anything else.

Check the ignition coils and associated wiring are correct and in good working condition. Make sure all of the plug wires are properly seated.

You can check for spark by pulling the plugs, plug it back into the plug wires, hold the plug near (1-2mm) the frame of the bike, and try to start the bike. You should see a spark between the plug and the bike. *WARNING* WEAR NON-CONDUCTIVE GLOVES AND MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO OPEN FUEL SOURCES NEARBY.
        Do this for each cylinder to make sure they all have spark.

Comment

you need 10.5 volts for the ignition coils to fire. your battery can show having 12 volts but not have the cranking power power. when testing the plugs make sure the spark is blue. if you are getting spark and have the cranking power. you may need to do a compression test. if your compresion is low it may be time for a valve job
          your suzuki qualified tech

flinstone little block mod

Comment

i'm having the same problem but i have all new plugs, new battery, one new ignition coil, cleaned the carbs, and it sounds like its missing. tomorrow im gonna check the voltage from the old ignition coil and see what it reads. i did a compression check yesterday and all cylinders had 150 psi. any ideas would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by wcj View Post
              Troubleshooting this should be pretty simple. You need gas and spark for the engine to run. If you have confirmed you have gas, then you dont have or dont have sufficient spark.

Pull your plugs to make sure they are not fouled. If they are, replace the plugs and figure out why they fouled before you do anything else.

Check the ignition coils and associated wiring are correct and in good working condition. Make sure all of the plug wires are properly seated.

You can check for spark by pulling the plugs, plug it back into the plug wires, hold the plug near (1-2mm) the frame of the bike, and try to start the bike. You should see a spark between the plug and the bike. *WARNING* WEAR NON-CONDUCTIVE GLOVES AND MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO OPEN FUEL SOURCES NEARBY.
              Do this for each cylinder to make sure they all have spark.
              +1
              All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on.

Comment

Working...
              X