Sputtering and stalling while throttle opened

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sputtering and stalling while throttle opened

Hi everyone,

I’m pretty much a new member to these forums, and have been reading up on a couple of things in preparation to touch up my 01 kat a little bit. However, recently I’ve been having problems with it. The bike starts to feel like its stalling if I give the engine too much throttle, I can accelerate slowly, but if I open it up it starts to sputter: as if its not getting enough fuel or air. It used to happen only at around 6000 rpms, but now it starts to sputter at around 4000 if I try and give it a lot of gas. I thought I was going to stall on my way home yesterday, so I engaged the choke a few blocks away from my house, this seems to fix the problem, but I hear having the choke on for too long can make the engine run hot (and of course it always keeps me at high rpms.) I am wondering what might be the problem, I took the air filter out today to have a look at it, and it doesn’t look like it needs replacing, though I do plan on it. I figured the fuel filter would be the next place to look but I feel like it has to be something else because of the way the problem has worsened in the past few weeks. Could you let me know what the most likely suspect is?
    The bike has 11000 miles on it, and has had its oil changed regularly, but pretty much nothing else. Thanks.

Sounds like you aren't getting enough fuel if you can turn the choke on and it "clears up". Probably time to take the carbs off and give them a good cleaning.

Comment

You really think it could be the carbs, and not just a fuel line problem? The choke, without a doubt, definately clears up the problem when its engaged. On a side note, how damaging is it to run the bike with the choke engaged about half way?

Comment

Welcome to KR! you could put some techron feul additive in and see if that helps any. replace the fuel filter also
        myspace
        2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

run some Sea Foam through it, and see if it helps. the instructions are on the bottle. if not, clean the carbs or have them rebuilt if the bike is older

do not ride around with the choke on; that is a no-no
          1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

First of all Welcome! Second, if it hasn't been done before, you really should give the carbs a new cleaning, not just so it can run better, but also to give you an understanding of how your bike works. You can never have too much knowledge, but i'm going out on a limb and saying carbs
            Last edited by KenpachiZaraki; 03-27-2008, 10:04 AM. Reason: i forgot a "T" Dammit!
            Captain of Squad 11

Comment

a quick twist from idle to 3k does it respone right?it could be a vaccum problem.if you have a k&n filter do you have the ring secured,but it could be starving for fuel,or not firing good.good greif i may be no help.

Comment

Its not a KandN, its definitely the oem filter. After reading a few other threads about power loss, I was going to pick up sea foam, thats next on my agenda. If its the carbs I really mite be screwed. I'm in college right now, and have no garage or work bench, and barely enough tools to take the bike apart. Not to mention I only really know the basics about motorcycles. I guess I'm going to start with the easiest things first, then if all else fails, clean the carbs.

the wind:It responds pretty well from 0-4000 but then doesn't like to get opened up.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanA View Post
                  I'm in college right now, and have no garage or work bench, and barely enough tools to take the bike apart. Not to mention I only really know the basics about motorcycles.
                  not sure of your location, but there are always KR member in the area. One of them might be able to lend some help
                  myspace
                  2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

Originally posted by SeanA View Post
                    Its not a KandN, its definitely the oem filter. After reading a few other threads about power loss, I was going to pick up sea foam, thats next on my agenda. If its the carbs I really mite be screwed. I'm in college right now, and have no garage or work bench, and barely enough tools to take the bike apart. Not to mention I only really know the basics about motorcycles. I guess I'm going to start with the easiest things first, then if all else fails, clean the carbs.

the wind:It responds pretty well from 0-4000 but then doesn't like to get opened up.
                    to me it does sound like you don't have enough fuel did you change the fuel filter?

Comment

to me it does sound like you don't have enough fuel did you change the fuel filter?
                      Not yet, I just ordered one today, so it will be a few days before I get a chance.

Comment

Yea definitely could be fuel issue. If you are getting some fuel then idle and low rpm is gona do fine not until you hit upper rpms and the need for fuel goes up a lot does a, not enough fuel issue, rear its ugly head. Easiest and cheapest fix is get a cleaner like Techron and a new fuel filter

The local dealer did not have a fuel filter in stock very odd. They usualy have several dozen laying around at least all the ones in my area do

Good Luck

Comment

might also try prime when it's running to rule out your petcock.

Comment

The local dealer did not have a fuel filter in stock very odd. They usualy have several dozen laying around at least all the ones in my area do
                            They may have, but to tell you the truth I didn't check. Those clowns wanted $130 just to change the air filter, I'd feel dirty giving them any business if thats their asking price.

For a fuel additive like Techron, do I just throw it in the tank and let it go to work, or is their something else I should be doing?

Comment

Generally, the bottle will tell you exactly what to do. Whatever you use, I'd follow their instructions.

Comment

Working...
                              X