X

Head gasket

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head gasket

What is everyones thoughts on re-using head gaskets...

Here's the story, this is on my 1216 build on the bandit, so it's a cometic spring steel HG.

After it was initially put on, the head had to be taken off to replace a valve and the HG was reused, apparently the shop forgot to tighten the head bolts on the left side of the motor so when i fired it up it looked like I had blown the HG, but it was really just the head bolts not torqued down.

So, should I replace this thing? I'm thinking no, since this would be the second time the head has left the block, and the fact that the CR is not stock....
    Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
    18v Rigid Drill
    Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
    New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

You mentioned it was put on once already. Was it torqued down full at that point before the you had to redo a valve?

I know people who have reused them with out problems.. but for every one who has had problems 1 has had them.

Comment

Yea, torqued down before, and after the valve got replaced.
      Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
      18v Rigid Drill
      New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

those gaskets like that have a compression ratio. Once they are torqued down 1 time, that it, it's done, compressed, thats it. Now, you could be able to reuse it, I'm not saying you can't, but if you wanna do things right, replace it.

Comment

ya I have to agree. Replace it. The price of the gasket is not worth the headache of going back into the engine to replace it in a week or month

Comment

Originally posted by reconstyle View Post
            What is everyones thoughts on re-using head gaskets...

Here's the story, this is on my 1216 build on the bandit, so it's a cometic spring steel HG.

After it was initially put on, the head had to be taken off to replace a valve and the HG was reused, apparently the shop forgot to tighten the head bolts on the left side of the motor so when i fired it up it looked like I had blown the HG, but it was really just the head bolts not torqued down.

So, should I replace this thing? I'm thinking no, since this would be the second time the head has left the block, and the fact that the CR is not stock....
            Perhaps I'm missing something but why are you talking about reusing?
            Just torque that baby down too the right specs in the right way and see what happens.

Comment

Replace. Head gaskets are not designed to be reused. ONce it is torqued down you get a new one. Not all that expensive

Comment

For $30 or whatever do you want to tear the motor apart again?
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                  For $30 or whatever do you want to tear the motor apart again?
                  It's $80 for another cometic spring steel gasket.

But even so, I'd gladly pay 80 bucks not to have to pull the motor from the frame again....

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                  18v Rigid Drill

Comment

the Cometic ones don't seem any better than the stock piece, IMO. but it does come with a cool sticker
                    1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

I would relace it also unless you really like working on your bike that much.
                      American by birth, Italian by the grace of God

Comment

the shop that didn't tighten the head bolts back down would be dealing with it if it was mine. Something I would check into. They were paid to do a job correctly and they didn't so they should assume all problems if it was their fault.

but replace. why risk it. It could be one of those things it could be fine and could not, just not that much of a risk. Hopefully everything is still flat true and flat.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by catfish View Post
                          the Cometic ones don't seem any better than the stock piece, IMO. but it does come with a cool sticker
                          yea don't you know that stickers add like 5 hp EACH!?!? Its freaking mindblowing!!!!
                          Captain of Squad 11

Comment

I agree with Bar except that if they are too ****ing stupid to torque down the head bolts then I sure in hell dont want them touching my bike again

Comment

Originally posted by creepinghunter View Post
                              I agree with Bar except that if they are too ****ing stupid to torque down the head bolts then I sure in hell dont want them touching my bike again
                              you said it! that's a pretty lame shop...

you could tighten the head down properly then do a compression test and make sure you are within spec. i'd run it a bit then do another after a few miles. since it is an air cooled engine i think you could be ok

i don't know too much about Suzuki's head studs, but some studs stretch when they are torqued. Your head studs may need replacing if you do torque them down, then need to again. generally i replace the studs when doing a head gasket job

Originally posted by KenpachiZaraki View Post
                              yea don't you know that stickers add like 5 hp EACH!?!? Its freaking mindblowing!!!!
                              it's true! you should see how fast my toolbox is!
                              1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Working...
                              X