X

Countershaft compatibility

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Countershaft compatibility

I picked up a 97 kat 750 motor to swap in my bandit 600. The motor does not have the entire countershaft assembly. Does anyone know what other countershafts will fit in this motor? I can get a good deal on a 97 bandit 600 countershaft or a 98 katana 600 countershaft. Will either of these work? I crossed referenced a few part numbers and it seems that the bandit uses a taller bearing than the 97 katana. Any ideas what I can do?

you mean the output shaft on the transmission? Trust me, you can't get too technical, I'd be happy to help you, but what do you mean by counter shaft?

Comment

Yeah that is what I am talking about.

Comment

the 98 600 Katana output shaft will work, the only difference is the 98+ Katana output shaft is threaded for the speed sensor rotor, other then that, it's the same.

Comment

So the 600 and the 750 are also the same? Thanks for the help!

Comment

yes

Comment

Thanks alot!

Comment

Katana/Bandit countershaft swap to 1990 GSXR 750 engine

Hello,

I've got a question about countershafts that I'm hoping you can help me out on.

I have a 90' 600 kat with a 750 GSXR motor in it. The cable clutch is a pain because of the location of the splined shaft to actuate the clutch and the mouting point for the terminal end of the clutch is very close to the Kat frame. The limited clearance makes putting on the little actuation lever/swapping broken clutch cables a major pain, especially if it breaks in the middle of a trip.

I have the motor out of the bike and apart to freshen it up. I want to switch the cable clutch on the bike over to a hydraulic clutch to make it more maintenance free/easier for commuting. However, the original GSXR shaft has no hole in it for the clutch actuating rod.

I have two options:

1) get a countershaft from a Kat 750 and install it?
                - Will this even work? The countershaft bearing appears to be of the same size, but I'm not sure about the spline spacing, etc.

2) Get the countershaft drilled at a machine shop
                - What is the size of the hole that goes through the countershaft?
                - Is this hole of constant diameter?
                - Are there any slots to supply the actuating rod with oil to lubricate it?

Any information that you could supply would be greatly appreciated! This is my first major mod to the transmission!

The information on modding the Bandit cover for operation on the Kat was invaluable, now I just need a hole in the darn shaft to actuate the clutch...

Thanks!

Christian

Comment

hey, you just emailed me on ebay. Yeah, I have no idea. I returned you're question, the hole is all the way through and it's 12mm.
                  Last edited by arsenic; 03-30-2008, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X