X

carbs get stuck open!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carbs get stuck open!!!

I inherited these carbs from the previous owner. There were some things wrong with them before, but i think i fixed those issues.

I was able to install them on the bike and start it. The bike ran for like 15 minutes...then died. Plugs were brand new when i started the bike and after 15 minutes they became black were soaked in gas/oil.

So the two issues are:

1. Carbs give too much fuel??...is it the fuel screws? or the floats?

2. Before running the bike everything was snappy, if i pulled the throttle cable it would snap right back. After a 15 minute run I pull the throttle cable and it is so sluggish. like there is some kind of gunk build-up!

what is getting stuck are the arms that hold the butterfly valves. I can fix the issue by spraying a little carb cleaner where the butterfly holder arm attaches to the main carb body, but when I run the bike again same issue!

This only happens after I shut the bike off, doesnt happen while the bike is running.

Anyone have issues like that before? I'll try to get some pictures up.
    Thanks all.
    '96 600GSXF

wait...
    So bike off.
    Pull the throttle let go it snaps back fast.

Bike running.
    Pull back the throttle it's gunky?
    Or
    After running the bike:
    It's gunky all the time?

Could be you have a cable amiss. I don't think anything generates enough heat to melt something and make it stick.. So vibration of the engine caused the cable to get pinched up?

Comment

bike off, pull the throttle back...snaps right back

bike on...throttle pulled, snaps right back...

bike shut off, 2 minutes later its sluggish. The butterflys do eventually close..but very sluggish.

the problem is not with the cable. after the binding occurred the first time i took the cable off and the cable itself had 0 binding.

if i take the carbs off and try to manually open the butterfly valves i can feel that the binding appears to happen between the main carb body and the arm that holds the butterfly valves.
      '96 600GSXF

Comment

i had that same problem, i sprayed some carb cleaner down the cable and that didnt help so sprayed some on the butterflies and voila it worked
        Captain of Squad 11

Comment

KenpacouhiZaraki,

that did work for me...i just can't keep doing that after every ride. It keeps binding, like some kind of protective cover is missing somewhere.

did you have this problem just once and after cleaning w carb cleaner it went away? or does this happen every time for you too?

i can't imagine this being a safe bike to ride knowing that the throttle may at any moment get stuck open! I would like to fix this bike up to sell it (it is my 2nd bike), but there's no way in hell i'd sell someone a deathtrap
          '96 600GSXF

Comment

The butterflies or the vacuum slides are slow to return?

Use a proper cable spray to lube the carb slides, cables and pivot points.
            Check the return spring on the throttle shaft.
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
              The butterflies or the vacuum slides are slow to return?

Use a proper cable spray to lube the carb slides, cables and pivot points.
              Check the return spring on the throttle shaft.

Its definitely the butterflies. Vacuum slides are fine and are not binding.

Butterfly valves are slow to return like some kind of gunk is getting in where they pivot. If i spray a little carb cleaner into that pivot point...then manually rock them back/fourth a few times the problem goes away. They begin to snap back like they are supposed to.

I re-install them on the bike and run it...everything is fine while the bike is on, as soon as i shut the bike off...they are slow to return again..like crap gets in there while the bike is running...or like i am missing some kind of protective cap somewhere..
              '96 600GSXF

Comment

That's just weird..

Comment

Take the carbs apart, clean them really well, reassemble and use a good silicone lubricant on the pivot points, then see what you have. It also sounds like your floats need to be adjusted if your plugs are black and wet. 2-2.5 turns out on your A/F screws with stock airbox/filter, and stock pipes.

Comment

Working...
                  X