No announcement yet.
X

Let's diagnose this...I'm tired..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My suggestion would be to go back to the stock jetting and make sure everything is running correctly on new plugs, then put the jet kit in.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
      My suggestion would be to go back to the stock jetting and make sure everything is running correctly on new plugs, then put the jet kit in.
      I'm waiting on the battery to charge right now. If it doesn't run right this time, I'm going to pull the jet kit out and put the stock jets / needles back in and go from there.

Heck at this point, with no fairings on it, I can have the carbs out in 15 minutes...I'm getting too good at this LOL
      Last edited by ctandc; 03-17-2008, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Do you have some new plugs laying around or a way to clean them?

Actually, even old un-fouled plugs would be alright too.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
          Do you have some new plugs laying around or a way to clean them?

Actually, even old un-fouled plugs would be alright too.
          The plugs in it when this started were BRAND NEW, and I just went by NAPA on the way home and put another brand new set in...I'll clean the others so they won't go to waste.

Comment

maybe it's the ing. advancer? over advanced? I hear that could cause problems. i dunno, just a thought
            myspace
            2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

Alright...........I pulled the plugs I just put in today. They were a bit gas soaked. Blew 'em off, wiped 'em down. Put 'em back in, left the tank off and verified by checking one of the float drains that there WAS fuel in the carb bowls.

Ended up choking it and having to open the throttle. It fired right up.

Let it run a bit..in fact let it run the fuel out of the carb bowls.

Then installed the tank, primed it a bit, held the throttle open a bit, cracked the choke, and she fired right up.

It idles so smooth... revs well too. I'm uploading a video to YouTube now..

BUT.......................the #3 (furthest right) exhaust pipe on the header is ALOT cooler than the other pipes. In other words I touch the other three and they are HOT....I can hold my hand on #3 and it's just 'warm'. But it's running so smoooth.

So I think I'm going to try to sync the carbs tomorrow and run it down the road a bit and see what's what.

Can the carbs needing a sync cause that cylinder to be getting as much fuel? It's not an obvious miss.....it's not like #3 isn't firing at all...it couldn't idle that smooth down one cylinder could it?

I'm hoping the jet kit has thrown the carbs off enough that it needs the sync. I mean even the instructions from Ivan's say the carbs will NEED to be sync'd after the jet kit.

So I'll set up the Carbtune, and after work tomorrow I'll get the engine warmed up and see if I can get this things sync'd up.

I'll link the videos once they are uploaded.

Here's the video where it fired up when the tank was off after drying off the plugs

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snIdySsajus[/youtube]

And this is it after running it a bit, then installing the tank, zero choke

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQVhdMoFPhY[/YOUTUBE]
              Last edited by ctandc; 03-17-2008, 09:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Maybe it's the video but that sounds close to a "Triumph" bro, 3 cilinder engine. You have to get that checked. Maybe the carb sync will fix it...
                Too old to dream, too young to reason...
                I am fond of my rough edges.
                sigpic

Comment

I think that #3 isn't firing much, if at all. That would also explain the backfire I get every now and then, JUST when starting it up. The unburnt gas/air mix in that cylinder is getting pushed into the exhaust pipe....

I can't mess with again until tomorrow evening. So I'll pull #3 plug again, clean it, strip a bit of the plug wire and make sure I have a solid connection. If that doesn't do it, I'm gonna swap out the coil for the one that was on my 91 Kat in the beginning....

Comment

Doesn't sound like a 4 cyl. to me either
                    myspace
                    2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

Well when I first got it fired, it had a massive oil leak (spark plug tower o-ring, got that fized) and #2 and #3 pipes were not as hot as the other two.

Now it's just #3.

It's not the plugs themselves, I'm leaning toward good contact at the plug. So I'm going to strip a bit of the plug wire back on #3 and rescrew it in and see what I get.

If that doesn't help I'll swap coils.

If that doesn't do it, I'm going to pull the carbs again and make sure no trash is hung up in that one carb.

Comment

Why is the TPS unhooked?
                        98 GSX750F
                        95 Honda VT600 vlx
                        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                          Why is the TPS unhooked?
                          It's a 2001 Kat 750 engine and carbs transplanted into my 91 Katana 600 frame.

I'm using the 01 carbs but using a one throttle cable setup with the TPS unhooked and i'm running a 93 Katana 750 CDI. So the TPS isn't needed at this point.

Comment

Yeah definitely a skip with out a doubt. I would just change to the old coil first. only takes a minute or so and is a quick chk especialy if you know it is good

Comment

Didn't get to mess with tonight. I'm going to install both of the old coils that were running the 91 600 just fine when I pulled it.

If that doesn't fix it, I'm going to pull the carbs and go through 'em again.

Well I may try it but I don't think it's the coils. I've read several threads that talked of the newer 98+ coils being designed to drive a different type of spark plug that those of pre 98....until I cross referenced the part #'s and the CURRENT pt#'s for replacement coils for my 91 Kat 600 and the 01 Kat 750 (donor bike that engine came from) are IDENTICAL. So there goes that theory.

So I'm going to stay with the 750 coils (which ran FINE in the donor bike before I removed the engine). I'm going to cut the ends off every spark plug wire and make sure they are making a solid connection. Pull the plugs and clean 'em off. Make sure coil connections and CDI connections are good.

If I'm still dropping a cylinder at that point, I'm at a loss to be honest.

I'm getting gas to all the carb float bowls. The engine runs super smooth, even it does seem to be only running on 2 or 3 cylinders.

I wonder if I should try swapping the signal generator from the 91 600 onto the 750? The plugs were IDENTICAL and plugged right into my 91 Kat 600 harness...but now I'm grasping at straws.

UPDATE:

Just checked the 01 750 coils (Which have been on the bike since I swapped the engine) and both test within specs.

Tomorrow evening I'm going to check the signal generator as well.
                              Last edited by ctandc; 03-18-2008, 10:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

maybe the jets are new, but what about the float needles, are they stuck

Comment

Working...
                                X