No announcement yet.
X

1st Valve Adjustment... AHH!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I def want those tools for the toolbox, but thanks for the offer!
    I saw these at Walmart and Auto Zone; Look like the right ones?
    Attached Files

Comment

What kind of warranty stipulates that you have to use THEIR shop to do all the work? That's B.S.

I have a warranty on my car too and I still save a fortune doing all my own work. I simply write up invoices with part #'s and labor quantities for the work I do and stick them in my file as "maintenance records", which they in fact are. I don't specifically say it was done at home, in my garage, by me. I don't lie, but I don't volunteer that information either. This is a C.Y.A. gesture to avoid being declined warranty coverage should I ever need it for a large item or one I don't want to do myself. I have heard of warranties being declined due to them saying "you didn't have the recommended services done", but I've never heard of one that MANDATES that you take the car to THEM for the services. In fact, I believe this is illegal.

Load of crap. Beat 'em at their own game. Write up invoices on official-looking letterhead with dates, quantities, part #'s, etc. Be honest, but don't give 'em a freebie way to decline you coverage. Essentially you're establishing a "shop" (name it whatever you want) with a customer base of one. Nothing wrong with it, IMHO.

BTW this has worked for me twice - I had my crank position sensor replaced recently under warranty (I didn't feel like doing it myself - PITA). No problem with them authorizing it.

I don't know where people get this notion in their heads that "warranty" means "I can't touch it". Bull. Get rid of the mysticism. If you research, you can turn the same wrenches that an "authorized" mechanic can. No difference.
      Last edited by KatScratchFever; 03-11-2008, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gkannon77 View Post
        Yeah I def want those tools for the toolbox, but thanks for the offer!
        I saw these at Walmart and Auto Zone; Look like the right ones?
        Those feeler gauges look right, CP sells the tappet adjustment tool for like 7 bucks I think
        Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
        18v Rigid Drill
        Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
        New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

yeah he does, those tappet adjuster might work, but just spend $7 and get the Suzuki tool.

Comment

Suzuki tool? Does CP or any other vendor here sell that? Never heard of it....

Comment

yes, CP sells it

Comment

Originally posted by KatScratchFever View Post
                What kind of warranty stipulates that you have to use THEIR shop to do all the work? That's B.S.
                Well, the extended warranty I have is offered through the dealership I bought it from. It's their personal warranty, not the Suzuki Extended. At the time, $250 for three years coverage seemed like a good idea. I get some slack on the oil changes and other simple maintenance, (I make up invoices at the shop I work at) but the major stuff has to go through them.

Sorry about the thread-jack.
                Currently Kat-less....but still in love with them.

And as I hit 6th gear, I forgot what she said...

Comment

Originally posted by Gkannon77 View Post
                  Suzuki tool? Does CP or any other vendor here sell that? Never heard of it....
                  It it the official tool. Looks like this:

I would add to the tool list: a really good 8mm box wrench. To not use a stamped ignition style one. Use a good forged one.

Comment

Anyone in brevard county??
                    I am about to undertake my first valve adjustment and wondered if anyone can help me through it. I was going to take reconstyle up on the help offer but it seems that it needs to sit over night and don't want to impose. (although if this doesnt pan out ill be ringing bro)

Anyways i have feeler gauges and tappet wrench and just want to make sure its done right the first time, it my only form of transportation now!!

Carb sync would be awesome too as I dont have the vacuum tool.

Cant wait to get her back on the road, out of school for the whole summer, whoa!!!

Send me a pm or drop me a line here,
                    Thanks
                    -Gkannon-

Comment

If you're going to do this yourself, make sure you have the right tools for the job. There is nothing worse than starting a project, tearing stuff apart, and then finding out you need some other tools or something else to complete the job.
                      2007 Honda CBR600rr
                      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X