X

need some help ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some help ?

Ok this is a fairly long question. I changed the exhaust from my yoshi back to stock . This invovled disconecting the oil cooler lines and basically letting it drain out along with changing said exhaust system . When i went to restart the bike it did not want to crank and almost felt as if something was in the cyclinder type of dead stop. I removed the exhaust bolts for the haedpipe just to make sure these were blind holes and did not for some strange reason go into the cylinder , just in case a bolt went in farther or something like carbon could get knocked in . they are blind holes and don't go in , so I hooked up the charger and it did crank then . It still acted somewhat strange though . This was late fall so i winterproofed it and waited till now to get to it. So a day ago I went to start it and it had that same kind of didn't want to crank like something was stopping it feeling. On went the charger set to crank and it spun over easily and started fine on the choke , i turned off the choke and it ran great for 10 min or so then shut off and would not restart . Today it did the exact same thing , started ran shut off , wouldn't start. I noticed when it was running through the oil check window oil running from top to bottom so oil was circulating but once it shut off the oil was way over full past the top off the window . So the question is what is going on here it ran fine before the exhaust change . Could air have gotten into the system and that is what i was feeling when trying to start it . Air bound pump or something ? why is the oil now overfull ? I've looked in the service manual but am at a loss . Has anyone had this happen to them before ? Any and all suggestions wold be great as I'm scratching my head on this one . Did i miss something or do something inncorrectly ? Help ! It won't run past 10 min or so and during that time it seemed fine
    Thanks in advance Scott
    Mind over matter , if you don't mind it doesn't matter

One main thought comes to mind on this. Stuck float and/or tank set to prime. Oil level would rise with the ecess fuel and would explain why the motor would have been hard to turn, I'f it'd risen high enough for example to slap the bottom of the piston, However, more then likely, it was gas atop the piston at the time before you stored it and since then its washed down the cylinder and into the oil. I would definately drain the oil and try spinning the motor with the correct oil level in place.
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
      Oil level would rise with the ecess fuel and would explain why the motor would have been hard to turn, I'f it'd risen high enough for example to slap the bottom of the piston,
      That can be a real problem.. I have heard of bend rods from that.

I agree totally with newbie. You ought to be able to smell gas in the oil.
      Also a ton of gas in the exhaust.
      As said, drain and refill the oil, check that petcock.
      It's hard to check of the floats are stuck open, but white smoke from the exhaust is a good one.

Comment

Well good call newbie i drained it today and it was almost all gas . Now to figure out why . I've never had the carbs off but it looks like i might have to take apart now . I'm so used to fuel injected everything that that never even crossed my mind . Thanks man
        Mind over matter , if you don't mind it doesn't matter

Comment

Nah, Its what we are all here for, To help one another. I've gotten help in past years so I tend to give it as well.

Just glad its all straightened out, well, sans the carbs, but Hell, we can help ya fix em too LOL Carbs 101 in the main secion will help ya most of the way
          If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
          Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Working...
          X