Parts to stock up ??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts to stock up ??

Hey guys !!

I would like to build a little inventory of things that I might need.
    For example, I know I will have to change the motor oil in 1000km ... therefore I'll buy a filter ... and some oil ... that's pretty straight forward ...

What else would I need ?? My bike has around 7000km

So ...

- Motor Oil
    - Oil Filter

Chain and sproket ? Do i need it ... will it need to be replaced soon ?

Air Filter ?? ....

What else ... if anything ?

I'm basically looking for old timers' experience

Thanks Guys
    I ride, therefore I am.

I keep oil filters on hand... anything else I either order as I needed it... or buy it when I plan to do the job.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I generally order spare parts in pairs.
      So if I order a clutch cable I get 2.
      So I agree with Steve, get more than one filter. Oil you can get nearly anywhere. Filters not so much.
      A set of spark plugs wouldn't be bad, though I doubt you need them now.

CyberPoet used to have a good explanation on how to tell when you need a new chain/sprockets but his site seems to be down.

Comment

If you order the filters from CP, I think it's 3 or 4 at a time is the same amount for shipping....that's what I did. And I will be doing it again shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
          CyberPoet used to have a good explanation on how to tell when you need a new chain/sprockets but his site seems to be down.

Hmmm.... weird.... and I think he might be on vacation....
          -Steve

sigpic

Comment

his site was working the other day, but not today

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

yeah .. site is down ... I'll look it up for howtos and parts when it's back
              thanks for the input !!

... anything else ?
              I ride, therefore I am.

Comment

Motorcycle Repair Information on Your Rear Chain and Sprockets.
                -Steve

sigpic

Comment

every other oil change i like to change the little crush washer on the drain plug and i also like to keep brake pads and tires on hand way before i need them so that as soon as they become questionable i already have the parts so im not tempted to ride on bad tires or anything while im waiting on them to get shipped

Comment

Unless I can find them dirt cheap at clearance, I keep almost NOTHING on hand, including oil and filters. Years ago, I learned the "value of money" insofar as, when you tie up money on inventory, you deny yourself the use of that money for other reasons. I find that oil filters are ALWAYS on sale somewhere, (Autozone often stocks the filter that fits on the GSF motors) so why tie up money and storage space, not to mention the possibilty of loss or damage, when I can just get them as needed?
                    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

If your doing an oil change and don't already have one, it would be a good time to switch to a Fumoto valve.

I usually order ~ three months worth of supplies at a time, and yes I order pretty much everything, because it is almost always cheaper to order it and pay shipping, than to go pick it up locally and pay for tax, fuel, and time, not to mention it is a little tricky to strap a case of oil on the back of the bike. (Then again, I live half an hour from everything except work.)
                      Pics
                      Pics
                      No pics yet
                      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Working...
                      X