X

Frozen throttle body?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen throttle body?

I noticed my throttle won't move on my 98 Katana. When I removed the gas tank, I saw that they were actually moving all the way down to the throttle body, but the throttle body seems frozen. I am able to move it with a screwdriver and a little force, but not with the throttle itself. Any ideas on how to free it up?

Have you checked the throttle cable?
    93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

The cables are moving all the way down to the throttle body, but there not moving the butterfly at all. Seems like the TB itself is frozen.

Comment

What was the last thing you did before you realized they weren't working?
        Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
        18v Rigid Drill
        Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
        New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Got the bike

Comment

They aren't real loose at the connection to the throttle plate-mover-thingy are the? May just be taking up the slack and not putting pressure on the actual plate thing.

Other than that ... maybe WD40 the springs between the carbs? <shrug>
            - Beave

1998 Katana 600 - Traded
            2005 F4i -

Comment

Soak it down in penatrating oil and keep working the throttle plates manually at the carbs. I bought a set of carbs off ebay that the guy insisted they were in great shape. I get them and the throttle plates are stuck so hard I had to use pliers on them to get them to even crack open a little. Soak where the rod goes through to the butterflys on each. Eventually it will free up. The ones I bought were for a dirt bike and they apparently sat out in the weather for some time.
              If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
              Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

+1
                i had a set that were left out side. I had to put them in a bucked for a few days. Every day they would move a bit more... just takes time. Don't get too forceful opening them up. They should slide nice and gentle

Comment

You could take the carbs off and clean them. If they are that stuck, imagine what the inside looks like. Clean them and lube them up real well.

Comment

normally I would strip it down and grease the shafts with silicone grease however you can use wd-40 to free them up and them spray them later with a good cable spray and that will work it's way in there and keep things lubricated
                    98 GSX750F
                    95 Honda VT600 vlx
                    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                    X