X

Carb/TPS Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb/TPS Question

Ok I've got my 98 all stripped and sitting in the house (got a real understanding wife ) and one of my winter projects is to clean/rebuild/rejet my carbs. Figuring I'd hose something up, I picked up a set of carbs off of an 05 on eBay, good for parts or a re-assembly guide I figured.

Well yesterday I pulled apart the eBay carbs and they are absolutely gorgeous on the inside. The guy must have cleaned them top to bottom before selling. Only problem with them are a couple missing fasteners and the TPS was busted in transit.

Since those carbs look so absolutely wonderful (even the float heights are spot on 13mm ... measured w/ digital Vernier Calipers) I think I should just drop my Ivan's Kit in there and use those. My question is, can I just take my TPS off my other carbs and install them on the new ones? Is there any kind of calibration that I need to worry about? Or should I just pickup another TPS and put it on the new carbs and give them a shot so as to not screw up my "good" (as in working ... but not great) carbs currently on the bike?

Thanks in advance!
    - Beave

1998 Katana 600 - Traded
    2005 F4i -

You should be able to use the TPS with no problem.

There is a procedure out there somewhere on how to test and adjust it.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Thanks Steve!

Wow ... less than 120 seconds for a reply. I love KR
      - Beave

1998 Katana 600 - Traded
      2005 F4i -

Comment

yeah, you need to test the ohm resistance at different levels of throttle. The test procedure is in the manual.

Comment

That procedure is apparently 4-21 in the service manual. Basically it's open the throttle all the way and check the resistance ... adjust till it's 3.8kO and tighten it down. Looks dead easy.

I guess I'll use the new carbs and pull the old ones and clean them up. It's always good to have spares lying around
          - Beave

1998 Katana 600 - Traded
          2005 F4i -

Comment

OR ebay the ones you not using and pay for the new ones, or clean them and make a profit. What did you pay for the new ones anyway, if you don't mind?

Comment

Wow!!! Good post! Exactly what I've been dealing with...
              2000 Suzuki Katana 600 (Cryogenic suspension)
              2002 Kawasaki Vulcan (Gone)
              2006 Kawasaki ZX-14 (Gone)
              2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post
                OR ebay the ones you not using and pay for the new ones, or clean them and make a profit. What did you pay for the new ones anyway, if you don't mind?
                It came out to about $90 shipped for the new ones if I remember right. The carbs were totally complete, save for a few of the screws and washers on the choke slider thing-a-mabob. Even had a darn near new fuel filter on it to boot (good for an emergency spare I guess, but I just put a new one of those on there last year). About $7 worth of stuff from Ron Ayers fixed that situation.

Probably could clean up the others and sell 'em for a profit or at least break even. There's nothing wrong with them other than needing a good cleaning and maybe few o-rings (they are 10 yrs old now). Plus they've got a dynojet kit in them now, and I have a set of stock needles from the 05s so I could sell that seperately as well I guess.
                - Beave

1998 Katana 600 - Traded
                2005 F4i -

Comment

Working...
                X