X

Fuel filters causing problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel filters causing problems

I recently installed an inline fuel filter on both lines coming from the tank. Ever since, I've had unreliable fuel flow in both lines. One of the filters is visible with the cowl on; often the filter will drain completely (filter case is clear), starving the engine of fuel. I'll have to stop and rock the bike back and forth a bit to get fuel flowing back into the filter.

Problem occurs regardless of what position the petcock is in. Any ideas on correcting this?

Gonna go out on a limb and guess you've got a Pre 98 since your refering to twin fuel lines. Second limb I'll hang from is that the fuel filters are probably laying almost horizontally.

Now, if the first limb I climbed out on was wrong.. Fill out your garage info so we all know what type of bike you have. The same applies to the second limb, however that one I could add to. One thing you might try, when you "notice" the filter is empty, try popping open the gas cap, see if fuel flow resumes then. It might be possible the vents blocked somehow.

But in any case, Filling out the garage info helps us help you
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

You are correct, it's a '95 kat. One of the filters is horizontal, however the one I see visibly draining is almost completely vertical.

I had a hankering there was a vacuum being created somehow, but never thought to test like that. I'll give it a try.

Comment

One other thing to check, And agian out on the limb here, I'm assuming its bank 3/4 thats getting the starvation... Might also be the routing of the fuel lines. If you just cut and spliced the filter into the hose and now the filters just sticking straight up, the hose coming off the top of that filter is going to be rising up higher then the rest of the fuel line, also possibly causing a kink in the line. Its hard to put a filter on the pres since there isnt a lot of room under the tank to start with. If you find the lines actually getting kinked due to a tight bend, one thing you could try is going to a hardware store and see if they have long springs. the wimpy ones that dont have a lot of tension to them, and slide the fuel hose thru the inside of it. Sorta like the older 80 GS' had on their fuel lines. Just something to help stop the hose from pinching off.

I had this problem with mine for a little while on my 93 750, till I figured out it was the routing. and when I'd finally get it right, I'd have to take off the tank to do something to the bike, thus having to restart the "Find you a good home" hunt for the fuel lines. I finally conceeded and took them off since I dont have any rust in the tank and the tank screens clean.
        If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
        Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Or they got stuck in the wrong direction , or are already getting plugged ....
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I was having the same problem too with my 93 600, i just couldn't figure where to put those damn filters!!! then my por15 kit came in, used it, took the filters off and voila. problem solved. so now i have a vacuum leak!! damn those gremlins they just won't leave me alone!!!
            Captain of Squad 11

Comment

Fuel problem

This is just something I ran across in my 04 750. While I was at Advanced auto parts I thought I would pick up a new fuel filter, not a motocycle specific but one that small like it and clear so that I could see when it got dirty. I have the motorcycle taken apart right now and was adjusting the carbs, with the new filter on I couldn't get the correct flow through that filter and I thought something was wrong. I tried every conceivable idea and as a last resort put the old one back on; unbelievably, the fuel flowed like it should unlike the new one I had just installed.

Moral of the story, maybe if you purchased a filter not specific for a motorcycle, then you may want to try purchasing one that is and try again.

Comment

Working...
              X