X

Oil Problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Problem

I just bought my 97 kat 600 and I had an oil leak so I went in and inspected everything and found out the filter was loose. After that my oil stopped leaking but when I turn the bike on the OIL light turns on. What can it be? Also now I have a leak out of a screw that is close to where you put in oil? Not sure what it could be, I think its break fluid, but not sure.

If you think it is brake fluid, clean up the area around the leak real good, and work the brake a couple of times. If it is the brake leaking it should show you where. Also make sure the reservoir is topped up. Brakes aren't something to let go without attention.
    "If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger. "
    Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

make sure you top up your oil i dont think it is brake fluid it would be out of a line not a screw but clean the area with brake cleaner and try brake check then start bike see what leaks good luck

Comment

OIl light comes on when you flip the key on . Normal . SHould go off as soon as the bike starts , though .....
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I also notice that when I turn my kat on I look at the oil viewer and the oil starts to like mix and it turns into a caramel color then it stops and when I rev it up bubbles come up, wat does that mean.

Comment

If your oil light stays on while engine running your oil pump might be going out. Or maybe a bad oil sensor?? Or maybe im talking out my ***.
            "Do not look to deeply into anything I say, I'm a very shallow person."

Comment

Bubbles aren't normal, Which oil did you put in? It shouldnt be foaming, but on the other side of the coin, with the motor running, you shouldnt see the oil level either. As for the "screw" thats leaking, either take a picture of it and post online here or check Ron Ayers Online Microfiche for which cover/screw your refering to. Theres at least 1 screw per cover that has an opening to allow oil into it. That also has a seal under the screw head.
              Last edited by Newbie2it; 02-04-2008, 02:10 AM.
              If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
              Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by revorider View Post
                I also notice that when I turn my kat on I look at the oil viewer and the oil starts to like mix and it turns into a caramel color then it stops and when I rev it up bubbles come up, wat does that mean.
                The oil level will pretty much disappear , and you'll see bubbles come up while it's running until the oil level disappears . again , normal . However , caramel colored oil usually means something like water is in there ....

Comment

Oil problem

I will try to post pics to show you guys where the leak is.

by the way I used Valvoline 4t stroke SAE 10w 40 oil.
                  Last edited by revorider; 02-04-2008, 01:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

THe stuff with the bike on the front , yeah ? I use that .

Comment

oil problem

Is the valvoline oil I just listed any good? If there is water mixed with the oil, I would have to drain the oil to get it out, right? Also smoke comes out of my engine sometimes and it happens at the same time the oil starts to bubble. Is a hose clogged or what can be happening?

Comment

Smoke from where?, The exhaust? thats normal, Just moisture in the pipes. As for water in the oil.. If all the containers were new and unopened when you changed the oil, then it would be safe to assume there wouldn't be water there. Unless of course you left the filler cap off overnight during a torrential downpour.

As for the 4t oil, its fine. Just wanted to make sure you used the right oil since you said it was bubbling.
                        If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                        Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Working...
                        X