X

Clutch question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch question

I have adjust my clutch a few time, but there is still no real contact till the lever is almost fully released. I adjusted the cable and the part for the puch rod...
    So my question is is it time for a new clutch and where is a good place to get them??

is this a good deal??
    2001 Kawasaki zx1100

2000 Kat 750, in 600 Yellow. (GONE but not forgotten)

Bike pics link: http://s422.photobucket.com/albums/pp310/smitty600/

Did you look in the how to section on the write up I did on how to adjust your clutch. I would go through that step by step first. If that does not fix it I would then look for new clutch plates and fibers. More than likely all you need is new fibers if at all.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

HS2020 is awesome

Comment

To be clear, the clutch doesn't engage until the lever is almost released all the way, or doesn't disengage until the lever is pulled almost to the bars? Are you getting slipping when riding? Following HS's how to will give you the appropriate way to adjust the cable. After that, it is going deeper. HS2020 is right in that if you do need to replace clutch parts it is likely only the fiber plates. I would check the barnet kit you refer to as in a lot of cases they are heavy springs included. Great for recreational ride, but can be a workout in stop and go traffic of commuting, but in your case you do not need the steel plates. You can pick up an ebc set of fibres for a lot cheaper.
        "If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger. "
        Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

worn plates will not have anything to do with the clutch free play. END OF STORY
          You need a micrometer to see if the plates are worn that how little difference it makes. As long as the push rod is properly adjusted the clutch plate wear will not make any difference.

Adjust the clutch push rod by loosening the lock nut then turning the screw clockwise until you just feel resistance then back it off counter clockwise 1/4 turn. Tighten the lock nut. That's the proper push rod adjustment. Regardless how much the clutch is worn even if it's new you will always have the same amount of push rod free play. This is why you adjust the push rod to compensate for wear.

Now adjust the cable free play. Loosen the jam nut and turn the cable adjuster in on the handlebars all the way in. Now loosen the lock nut and adjust the cable at the sprocket cover. Back the cable out until you have the proper amount of free play at the lever (aprox 3/8"), then tighten the nut. I like to use a nickel to adjust the free play, just slip a nickel between the lever and the perch and adjust the cable until the lever just touches the coin.

From here fine adjustments are made with the handle bar adjusters as needed.
          Last edited by hardlydangerous; 01-25-2008, 12:30 AM.
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
            Adjust the clutch push rod by loosening the lock nut then turning the screw clockwise until you just feel resistance then back it off counter clockwise 1/4 turn. Tighten the lock nut. That's the proper push rod adjustment.
            1/2 a turn out

Comment

Yes I did do the rod and lever adjustments.
              No, no slipping of the clutch at any speed or gear..
              Maybe its just me.. lol
              Thanks
              2001 Kawasaki zx1100

2000 Kat 750, in 600 Yellow. (GONE but not forgotten)

Bike pics link: http://s422.photobucket.com/albums/pp310/smitty600/

Comment

Working...
              X