Air/fuel pilot screws...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
    And if anyone knows his diff strokes, It would be Sin

But yes, Self tapping screws are the type of screw that have a "v" cut into the actual threads, Where as a self drilling screw has a smooth shanked tip with a "v" cut into it followed a 1/4" up the shank by threads. Self Tapping screws are used primarily for sheet metal, Whereas Self drilling screws are used where metals are thicker . Without a pilot hole and needing to be drilled thru prior to the addition of threads.

Self tapping screws will require a predrilled hole close to its size. On its first few turns, it will produce a thread pattern the rest of the screw can use till its tight.

Self drilling screws will work on metal that does Not have a hole predrilled and upon "drilling thru the metal" it will act as a self tapper above.

Plain Sheet metal screws require a hole to be drilled near the thread range for ease of instalation.

I know right about now, Sins probably saying "I put any ****er in the drill, and its going in" LOL

I'm just pointing out the differences in terms really to inform others out there, not nitpicking on what you use.

Altho I should add a disclaimer, "Any screw can be used for the wrong reason to get desired results" Sort of along the line of using a hairbrush to mix paint cause the bristles add more turbulance LOL Just pointing out the slight misconception lots of peeps had when I dealt with the hardware store for 20 years.

Plain sheet metal screws are great for the EPA caps if you predrill to the appropiate size.you aren't looking to thread them anyhow.

Dynojet kits do come with the drill bit and the sheet metal screw.

:::Waiting for the Arsenic "DJ sucks large farm animals" comment:::: LOL

alright i think that makes you me and maybe 5 other people on this site that actually know that much about screws and bolts

but yes you are correct and i probably know more about screws then most people really want to know since ive spent my whole working career as a machinist/welder/engineer

but it makes me happy to know someone else out there knows the diff now if that could teach the rest of America that SAE bolts have no business in this world anymore then ill be happy
    I have two gears to beat you with and four you will never see!"

don't knock masturbation its sex with someone i love

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
      :::Waiting for the Arsenic "DJ sucks large farm animals" comment:::: LOL
      Dynojet sucks large farm animals, there happy now?

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post
        Man am I glad you said that! Finally!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sin View Post
          alright i think that makes you me and maybe 5 other people on this site that actually know that much about screws and bolts

but yes you are correct and i probably know more about screws then most people really want to know since ive spent my whole working career as a machinist/welder/engineer

but it makes me happy to know someone else out there knows the diff now if that could teach the rest of America that SAE bolts have no business in this world anymore then ill be happy
          I agree on the S.A.E bolts, But people still look for them. I dont see that going away anytime soon unfortunately.

Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post
          LOL I knew that was coming so I left the door open for ya Arsenic

Last edited by Newbie2it; 01-16-2008, 12:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
          Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by bdcastrantas View Post
            I got caps off pretty easily, I didn't end up using a drill stop, but carefully drilled into the cap until eventually, it wrapped itself up around the bit and pulled right out.
            FYI, for a quick cheap drill stop, put a few rounds of masking tape on the drill bit. It won't stop someone running a drill full speed and pushing as hard as they can, but for someone drilling through a cap like this and trying to be careful it is extra insurance and WILL do the job.

Not the right depth, but you get the idea:
            -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
            -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

I'm gonna be that idiot but I drill out my cover with a regular bit and pried it out with a small flathead screwdriver. The key is restraint with the drill. However if I knew about the homemade drill stop I would have used that.
              Wish You Were Here? And Yes That is Aaron Yates In The Background.

MY BIKE
              http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...rsionpardner1/

AMA SUPERBIKE RACE PICS:
              http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...20race%20pics/

Comment

Working...
              X