X

Help! My Kat won't start.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! My Kat won't start.

I've had a problem trying to get my 600 to start. The battery is charged but I'm getting nothing when trying to start it. There is no click or anything. Anybody have any ideas what this could be?

You are holding in the clutch and the Engine stop switch is set to Run Correct? After that, you might need to break out the multimeter and see if you have juice at certian points. Starter selinoid, Starter Relay. Stop/start switch, Starter switch, Clutch safety ect. Just need to do a bit of diagnostics.
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

What he said. Most likely it sounds like a safety switch issue (clutch or kickstand).

2002 Katana 600
      1999 Ford F150

Comment

No click would indicate either a bad starter button, or a bad starter relay. That is assuming you have your kill switch in the correct position.

Comment

first off do you know how to use a multi meter? if do first thing u want to do is check your voltage drop across the solenoid while activated. it should be about .2 vdc. the max is .5 vdc. if that is good you want to check your switches these are all done in ohms. ignition, engine stop, neutral and the starter button. all the switches should be between 0 - 10 ohms if all those are good it will be your starter motor.
          your suzuki qualified tech

flinstone little block mod

Comment

Thanks all. I do have a multimeter somewhere in my garage. Will have to find it and check those things. I tried reseating the wires from the choke, starter button and such and no luck. I will check the voltage.

Comment

we are here to please... <taking a bow>
              your suzuki qualified tech

flinstone little block mod

Comment

Do you have any power at all?
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Did you check the connection at the battery?
                  If something is hard its not worth doing
                  1984 Can-Am ASE 250
                  1989 Katana Race bike
                  2001 Bandikat (bandit with kat swap)
                  As the Project build continues

www.azkatriders.com

Comment

I did check the battery. Actually use a trickle charger so the battery has plenty of juice. All lights work, there is just no click. Tried playing with the choke, clutch, center stand and kick stand and still no click.

Comment

Check the electrical cable that goes right near the clutch lever (where your pull the clutch). Sometimes that can pop-off and still have plenty of voltage juice, but no start.

Comment

Ok now I'm going nuts! I checked the voltage of everything and seemed to be fine. I get it started this morning for about 10minutes by turning the handlebars to the right and it kicked right over. Now I put it back together and it doesn't do a darn thing. Back to square one. Has anyone seen this before, where turning the steering one way and the bike starts?

Comment

Originally posted by rugger417 View Post
                          Ok now I'm going nuts! I checked the voltage of everything and seemed to be fine. I get it started this morning for about 10minutes by turning the handlebars to the right and it kicked right over. Now I put it back together and it doesn't do a darn thing. Back to square one. Has anyone seen this before, where turning the steering one way and the bike starts?
                          if it was fine with the handle bars turned a certain way, that means you have a bad wire, when the handle bars are in a different spot it's hitting something and shorting out.

Comment

Maybe it has something to do with tha fairing. The fairings were off when it was started. Maybe a wire is being pinched somewhere and shorting. Thanks!

Comment

Kill switch or clutch safety. One of the bullet connectors is probably loose.
                              -Steve

sigpic
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                              X