X

common oil leaks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• common oil leaks

The other day when the weather was nicer than it has been being, I noticed some oil on my left shin, I then noticed a little bit of oil on the fins on the side of the block, any common places this might be comming from? I havent had time to strip the body work off to do some inspection, maybe this weekend. I just wanted to see if anyone has had thise before? oil cooler lines? Thanks any replies are greatly appreciated in my diagnostic efforts!

Most common spots:
    Oil cooler o-rings (where the cooler pipe connects to the top of the cooler)

Banjo bolts, all oil lines. Either due to loose fittings or over used washers.

Clutch push rod, the rod that goes through the case, the seal wears out or leaks due to rod damage.

Valve cover..

Comment

Not sure how common, but mine was leaking from the oil return tube on the front of the motor, new o-ring and all is good.
      2000 Katana 600
      2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Originally posted by Astro4x4 View Post
        Not sure how common, but mine was leaking from the oil return tube on the front of the motor, new o-ring and all is good.

I have heard that twice now.. So maybe it is common..

Comment

most common is the last place you worked on the engine.

Comment

Oil leaks

My rocker cover gasket has blown twice in the bike's 85,000 miles. Oil manifested itself on the front of the block, working itself down the front of the block and under; but also around the engine, spraying over lhs shin too. Cheap to fix. Gasket itself seems intact, only oil traces give the game away.

Comment

Also if the plug well gaskets ain't snug , they spill oil into that drain hole in the plug well , which drains out the front of the engine , which migrates around towards the side , then all over your boot and leg . Careful you don't set your bike on fire spaying brake cleaner at it to clean it up while it's hot and running in your driveway trying to find the leak .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                Careful you don't set your bike on fire spaying brake cleaner at it to clean it up while it's hot and running in your driveway trying to find the leak .
                That wasn't you though right??
                It was a friend!

Comment

Yeah , right , my friend . I would know better .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                    Yeah , right , my friend . I would know better .
                    I knew that.. I just wanted to be sure everyone else did too!

Comment

Originally posted by the wind View Post
                      most common is the last place you worked on the engine.

I have never worked on the engine, since I have had the bike, seems like the most senseable problem would be the o ring oil cooler, Soon as I get the chance Im gonna strip off the body work and inspect. THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES! THEY REALLY HELPED ME PICK A NEEEDLE OUT OFTHE HAYSTACK to look for!

Comment

Working...
                      X