Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

How do I check for a jet kit on a pre 98?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I check for a jet kit on a pre 98?

I need to check to see if I have a jet kit on my pre 98. I read it's possible to find out on a 98+ without pulling the carbs off, but I can't seem to find anything on the 98. Thanks
    97 GSX600F
    76 CB750F
    71 CB175

Well, a key sign would be if the needles are adjustable. You can find that out without pulling the carbs as well by removing one of the black caps and examining the needle.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

The thing you won't be able to tell unless you pull the float bowls off is the size of the jets. I don't recommend pulling the float bowls off, without removing the carb.
      1993 Suzuki Katana 750 (GSX750F)
      1993 BMW 325i

Comment

no Steve is 100% correct, pull the top off 1 carb, see if the needle has 5 spots for the e-ring. Jetted needles are adjustable, stock needles have 1 spot.

Comment

Alright, sorry to bump an old thread but I ended up not getting this done and it's nice out now and thanks to work letting me go, I have more free time now.

Just to make sure I'm correct I should remove the black cap on top of the carb. I did this, inside I see a rubber diaphram that sinks inside the carb and then a little circle at the bottom. It's so far down I can see anything or if there are multiple levels on the carb. Am I looking at the right thing?
          97 GSX600F
          76 CB750F
          71 CB175

Comment

Originally posted by starion88esir View Post
            Alright, sorry to bump an old thread but I ended up not getting this done and it's nice out now and thanks to work letting me go, I have more free time now.

Just to make sure I'm correct I should remove the black cap on top of the carb. I did this, inside I see a rubber diaphram that sinks inside the carb and then a little circle at the bottom. It's so far down I can see anything or if there are multiple levels on the carb. Am I looking at the right thing?
            You pull the diaphram very carefull off the carb and the needle will come along, than you can take a better look.
            --- 1989 Katana 750 ---

Comment

Thanks! Off to do it now.

Ok, just removed the diaphram and much to my suprise it actually has a et kit installed.

The need is set in the middle groove.

The reason I wanted to check is because I bought the bike with afull D&D exhaust and it ran, but there was practically no low end power. It would finally take off once it hit a certain rpm. Until then it would bog and sounded like it would misfire.

Here's a picture of the jet that came out and where it is seated. Can anyone identify the jet by the picture? (I will try searching after the picture) as well as suggest a good beginning spot to try and properly tune the bike. I'd like to get back to riding and my roomate is tired of me stealing her Ninja.
              Last edited by starion88esir; 04-26-2008, 12:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              97 GSX600F
              76 CB750F
              71 CB175

Comment

what year and cc's are the carbs? What air filter is in it? 100% sure thats a DynoJet needle. Your signature says 97 600. The tuning really depends on the air filter, go to 3 turns out. If it is a K&N filter, get rid of it and still 3, it's 3 turns out regardless. The e-ring is set correctly.
                Last edited by arsenic; 04-26-2008, 12:59 PM.

Comment

I'm assuming the carbs are original to the bike whih would be for a 97 600. If you have any numbers I can check to verify I will make sure they've not been changed at some point.

The p.o. didn't know anything aboout the bike. After dropping it twice not even riding it he decided to get rid of it.

When you say 3 turns out you're referring to the a/f setting correct or do you mean 3rd notch up? (sorry still new to working on bike and the terminology)
                  97 GSX600F
                  76 CB750F
                  71 CB175

Comment

yeah 3 turns out on the a/f screws, the notch on the needle is right, leave that alone. They are original, trust me, swapping carbs is hard work, no ones gonna do that without a good reason.

Comment

I just removed the rear fairings to get access to remove the air filter and make sure it wasn't a K&N unit. Here is what I found:

I feel sick to my stomach. But at least it wasn't a K&N filter...
                      97 GSX600F
                      76 CB750F
                      71 CB175

Comment

very true, could be worse

Comment

Should I go ahead and start looking for a new engine or can I remedy this?
                          97 GSX600F
                          76 CB750F
                          71 CB175

Comment

are you kidding? Thats a hella easy fix. You float heights are wrong.

Comment

No, I wasn't kidding. Tried searching but since oil is less than 4 letters I got nothing.

If all it is is float heights than I'm very happy. I'll need to resynch them after adjusting the float height correct?
                              97 GSX600F
                              76 CB750F
                              71 CB175

Comment

Working...
                              X