X

FUEL LEAK - sugestions please

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FUEL LEAK - sugestions please

Two weeks ago i started up my bike because i didn't ride it for a while. Apparently between then and now almost all my fuel leaked out. I tried to figure out what happened today and this is what i got:

Bike: '97 GSX600 Kat 11K mi.

1) Fuel leaks from the left side - looks like the carburetor.
    2) Fuel only leaks when the bike is leaning as far as it can on the kick stand.
    3) I wipe the area and leaned the bike again - doesn't look like its leaking from above.
    3) Bottom of the fuel tank is dry and so are the hose connections on the tank.
    4) Bike won't start - it seems like the carbs are flooded.
    5) It's been cold lately (about freezing) so I'm afraid that its something with the carb frame (cracked or a gap opened).

Please send any suggestions, questions or past experiences.

Sounds like one of the float valves is leaking. You can ususlly stop it by pulling it out and cleaning it or just buy a new one.
    Last edited by UFO8MyCow; 11-22-2007, 05:22 PM.
    PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
    The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

was the fuel petcock left in prime?

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Could be a stuck float or valve, check there's no petrol got into the oil too, if its overflowed it could of got into the cylinders.

Ian
        Ian

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chinto View Post
          was the fuel petcock left in prime?
          It shouldnt mater if it was on prime or not the float valves shouldnt leak.
          PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
          The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

Or float gasket ......
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

what exactly do I have to do to fix the float valve?

Comment

Depends on what's wrong and what you intend to do about it . Whole assembly ? Just pull out the old , put on new o-rings if you're unsure about the old , and pop it back in . 30 minute job TOPS . Just the needle ? Takes a bit longer to get the needle out and back in , and gotta be more careful . Cheaper , but takes longer . Same for JUST the float itself (reusing your old needle) . May wanna ckeck float height when you're done . Hardest most time-consuming part will be getting TO the part , which is just popping the carbs off and draining the one (no need to undo cables and drain them ALL , just don't flip the carbs upside-down . But the , in order to check float height , you WILL have to flip them ...) .

Comment

Check the hose in the prime!

Check the hoses emanating from the tank and fuel petcock.

You could simply have a loose hose, misplaced or cracked.

If everything looks good under the tank then the local experts may suggest looking deeper.

I had a primer hose cracked at the tank's end, I simply cut the cracked area and since there was plenty left reattached and secured it with it's metal thingy, this was over a year ago, now the hole hose's getting pretty hard and stiff so I'll have to replace it altogether.

Good luck!
                  Last edited by 2000kat600; 12-17-2007, 01:48 AM.
                  2000 Suzuki Katana 600 (Cryogenic suspension)
                  2002 Kawasaki Vulcan (Gone)
                  2006 Kawasaki ZX-14 (Gone)
                  2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650.

Comment

What's a "primer hose " . The fuel all runs through the same hose .There's not a separate one for prime .....

Comment

Working...
                    X