X

Clutch questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch questions

So decided to change the clutch plates on the bike. ran into a whole host of issues...

1. Should all 8 replacement clutch plates be the exact same? I know in the manual it shows 1 clutch plate as different from the others. the EBC ones i got all look the same.

2. for some reason the clutch wasnt engaging, i.e pushing out when we pulled the lever / cable in, after fiddling around with this screw thingy (on the left hand side of the bike) it started to work again.

3. during this process we snapped off the head of the two bolts holding the springs in. trying to figure out this POS torque wrench....

so urmm any suggestions?

after market friction plates, I think, are the same. My Barnett friction plates are the same. There like no torque at all on toughs clutch bolts, just tighten them by hand.

Comment

I'd suggest downloading the manual and then RTF (read the freaking instructions) the FTFI (follow the freaking instructions).

Sorry if this sounds harsh or unsympathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by GregS View Post
        I'd suggest downloading the manual and then RTF (read the freaking instructions) the FTFI (follow the freaking instructions).

Sorry if this sounds harsh or unsympathetic.
        thats what i did. was just looking for any tips or pointers that ppl who have done this before would be able to suggest.

Comment

One of the plates has a larger interior diameter than the rest. This one goes into the basket first (closest to the transmission to allow space for the disc spring inside of it.) I set my tourque wrench to 5 lbs and that might have been too much as I ended up backing them out a 1/2 turn after I had problems with my clutch. Did you get the heavy springs with it?
          "If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger. "
          Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

what is your deal bro? The factory instructions are for the OEM clutch plates, after market clutch plates are different. What crawled up your butt and died? In my opinion thats is a completely valid question.
            Last edited by arsenic; 11-02-2007, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lehbs View Post
              One of the plates has a larger interior diameter than the rest. This one goes into the basket first (closest to the transmission to allow space for the disc spring inside of it.) I set my tourque wrench to 5 lbs and that might have been too much as I ended up backing them out a 1/2 turn after I had problems with my clutch. Did you get the heavy springs with it?
              thanks man. i did get heavy springs. ill have to try this. :smt006

Comment

Ok on your pressure plate bolts. DO NOT USE THE TORQUE wrench on them. They are used and you will snap the heads off of them again. Get new ones and just take them down snug. They will tighten up all on their own. As for the clutch plates. They all should be the same. I bought a set of EBC plates and they were all different thickness. That will not work. I have written a how to with pictures on how to adjust your clutch once you have it back together. When you get done and still need help PM me your number and I will call you when I can and walk you through it.
                www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Jimmy is Mr Clutch!!..

Comment

Find HS2020's post about adjustment, it works. As for the tourque wrench, he is probably right. As I said I had mine at 5 lbs which is next to nothing, and I backed mine out again a bit. Another thing, make sure you soak the new plates for a couple of hours in oil before install, and dip the steel ones as you install them to make sure there is a good coating on all parts before they go in.
                    Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by HS2020 View Post
                      Ok on your pressure plate bolts. DO NOT USE THE TORQUE wrench on them. They are used and you will snap the heads off of them again. Get new ones and just take them down snug. T
                      any idea where i can get new ones from?

Comment

ronayers.com

Comment

Your local shop might have them in stock or can get them. Mine had them and at only $2.25 a bolt I didn't want to wait.
                          Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

You need an inch pounds torque wrench for the clutch bolts.(use all new, they are pretty much single use anyway) To use the EBC plates you remove the conical spring on the inside. Plates are thicker so you will have to adjust the screw mechanism on left case.
                            PJ
                            I'm not a complete idiot, but I'm working on it.
                            There are three types of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't

Comment

Originally posted by crazypj View Post
                              You need an inch pounds torque wrench for the clutch bolts.(use all new, they are pretty much single use anyway) To use the EBC plates you remove the conical spring on the inside. Plates are thicker so you will have to adjust the screw mechanism on left case.
                              PJ
                              wait whaaa? i am so confused...

Comment

Working...
                              X