X

Twisted Forks on Yamaha FZ6

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twisted Forks on Yamaha FZ6

Not a Katana post, but probably general motorcycle repair.

My buddy wrecked a Yamaha FZ6. We replaced all the plastic and there was nothing to indicate frame damage, but it feels like the forks are tweaked a bit. Visually everything looks good.

When driving straight handle bars/forks are turned very slightly to the right from neck. If I were to hold straight then the bike would go left.

-Bike does not track quite straight ( at least that is what it feels like ) Seems to want to track RIGHT a wee bit.

- Feels like it wants to turn easier to the right than to the left. Once again, very slight but feels funny.

So, my thought is that the forks are twisted in the triple clamps. How do you go about aligning this? Would we just be able to loosen the clamps up and let everything 'relax' or does some type of alignment need to be done?
    -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
    -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

You'll need to do some measuring... I can't remember the specifics off the top of my head. One is the distance from the ground to the bottom of the fork. The distance between the forks etc.

Another option would be to find a shop with a laser alignment tool and ask them to check it.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Try loosening up everything up front and re-tightening .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Loosen the clamps,
        Then, Like we all did as kids to straighten our handlebars on bicycles,
        Stand facing the front of the bike, put the front tire between your knees. and turn the bars.
        If this does not work, holf the bars tightly, and have a partner use a rubber mallet to tap the side of the front wheel. you may have to use more than a tap, but it will work.

Retighten and check for alignment.

Comment

Well, we loosened and tightened, and rode, and loosened and tightened and rode.

Eventually we loosened everything back up, I gave it a twist in the opposite direction, put it back together and everything looks and feels GREAT!

All in all it wasn't a bad deal at all. Now I've just got to get him to lean the bike over again. His confidence is shot. So we just took a long ride of shallow sweepers. I think he'll eventually settle back in.

On another note, the FZR600 felt like a toy! It didn't way anything, I felt like I was sitting on top of it, and the 600 didn't feel like it produces anywhere near the power my '05 750 Kat does.
          -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

Comment

Originally posted by chriskatana View Post
            Loosen the clamps,
            Then, Like we all did as kids to straighten our handlebars on bicycles,
            Stand facing the front of the bike, put the front tire between your knees. and turn the bars.
            Totally weird but that is the method to use..

Originally posted by mharrison View Post
            On another note, the FZR600 felt like a toy! It didn't way anything, I felt like I was sitting on top of it, and the 600 didn't feel like it produces anywhere near the power my '05 750 Kat does.
            Try sitting on an FZ600..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
              Try sitting on an FZ600..
              My mistake, it WAS an FZ600!
              -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

Comment

Originally posted by mharrison View Post
                My mistake, it WAS an FZ600!
                Yup.. Monkey, football you add the verb..

Comment

Working...
                X