X

94 katana tried everything.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 katana tried everything.

I recently bought a 94 katana 600. It ran for like one day then it went downhill. carbs were leaking so i had them rebuilt and synched. Then i bought a new petcock. new spark plugs. new coil packs and wires. it cranks and cranks then a real loud backfire. i know it was due to unspent gas in the exhaust. i took the cover off to the signal generator there was gas in the oil. which i suspect was from me cranking and cranking it or it sitting. but i checked the rotor it was good. i did ohm check on the signal generator wires they had the right resistance. im wondering if it isnt the cdi. ive been working for awhile trying to get it to start so i figured i would ask you guys?

could be the CDI, did you test for spark?

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post
      could be the CDI, did you test for spark?
      +1

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

yea i had tested spark i had gotten spark. does the cdi just tell the signal generator when to spark or does the signal generator tell the cdi when to tell what coil to spark when...im 19 and its my first bike but i have been driving my freinds older yzf 1000. i just would like to have my own bike. i fabricated flanges to fit this set of yoshi pipes. im leaning toward the cdi more and more.

Comment

if you got spark I highly doubt it's the CDI

Comment

what do you think it could be. maybe bad fuel?

Comment

fuel or spark, thoughs are the 2 things I think it is, there's like a million things that cause cause those 2 things too not be right.

Comment

you know what the cdi actually does. is it like msd box

because when im cranking it. it acts like its just cranking cranking not tryin to sprak then once in a great while itll sound like it suddenly gets spark then the large backfire.also haveiing fuel in my oil, would that cause an issue of it not starting i just found that issue earlier today?
                Last edited by coolkat920; 10-24-2007, 10:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

it sends the signal for the plugs to spark to the signal generator. I signal generator rotor times the spark at the correct time, the CDI just tells it to spark, it has to do with when also, but mainly just to spark.

Comment

i see i guess ill replace it. and see what happens.

Comment

i looked into a CDI a while ago also, they are a couple hundred bucks if i remember right, my suggestion would be ebay, i believe they changed the wiring in 93 and then again in 96, i dont remember, get on the microfishe in another post and that might have it. Before i spent hundreds on a CDI i would also have a Suzuki professional take a look, (it could be 45 or 90) well spent!

Comment

Is the bike jetted or running pods?
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Stupid question but when you replaced the spark plugs did you put the wires back to the correct cylinders?

Comment

If the plugs have spark the CDI is ok as is the rest of the ignition system unless it somehow sheered the keyway and the timing is off or the plug wires are on the wrong plugs

too me it sounds more like a fuel issue. Pull the plugs and if they are wet the bike is flooded. remove tha carbs and check the vac caps/diaphrams are all sealed properly, cheak the float levels etc.
                            Last edited by hardlydangerous; 10-25-2007, 09:43 AM.
                            98 GSX750F
                            95 Honda VT600 vlx
                            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                            X