X

Throttle handlebar has slack

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle handlebar has slack

OK, now I did run a search already but i couldnt find a similiar question.

When I throttle...regardless of 1st, 2nd gear onward...it has about an inch of slack in it. I played with the throttle with the Kat off and pulled it all the way then released it...no problems with it snapping back. This inch of slack kinda has me worried if its just the cable or something with the inside of the grip.

Any ideas? Or are all Kats like this?

96 750
    Just remember: Satan loves you

Have you tried adjusting the slack yet ? If you did , then maybe someone has messed with the routing at the control pod (little iffy if you take that apart) .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

You should have a little slack in the cable... but not a lot.

Use the fine adjustment at the cable end to tighten it up until there is no play in the cable, then back it out a little bit like a half turn maybe.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

with that much slack...I'm thinking that the cable is not seated properly on the throttle tube. As md said...have you had the pod apart recently?

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

I'm confused in exactly what you are asking. Are you saying that you have an inch of play in the grip where it is not pulling on the butterfly's in the carbs (argh I can't come up with a good way to explain it), or are you saying that when you release the grip, that the grip does not return to fully closed, like it hangs open?
          Pics
          Pics
          No pics yet
          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

When I pull back, I have to pull back about an inch for the engine to respond. During that one inch, nothing happens...it's just free play. I took my bike in to get it tuned up because I was gone on deployment, I dont think they messed with anything mentioned. But I do know they cleaned the carbs up a bit and readjusted the cam

Comment

they readjusted the cams huh? How do you do that?

Comment

The cam chain or something. Whatever they did it DID run a lot smoother and responder more quickly to the throttle.

Comment

If it wasn't doing it before you took it in the shop and is now, then I would guess that somewhere along the lines they disconnected the throttle cables and failed to readjust them when they put everything back together. I would take it back to them to take a look at it. If you want to take care of it yourself, I would check routing of the cable to make sure everything looks right, then adjust all but about 2-4mm of the play out with the barrel adjusters on the throttle cable.
                  Pics
                  Pics
                  No pics yet
                  Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

first of all, they adjusted your valves would be my guess. Yes, anytime the valve cover comes off you need to remove the throttle cable.

Comment

Oh, really...hmmm, thank you very much. Ill see if I can find this so called barrel adjuster and do it myself!

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post
                        anytime the valve cover comes off you need to remove the throttle cable.
                        Ah ah ah . I just take the carbs off and hang them over the side . I HATE removing that stupid cable . Or you can cheat and take the cable out at the pod if you really must , which is MUCH easier than fighting the end inside the carbs .
                        The "barrel adjuster" is at the carbs . It's basically a nut that's like 3/4" long . Can't miss it .
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                        X