Clutch disengagement

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch disengagement

Hi All,

So as a follow up to an earlier post that I think I made here, I adjusted the clutch cable on my 94 Kat to try and make the clutch disengage fully when the lever is pulled in. I don't think I was totally successful. When shifted into 1st and with the clutch pulled in, I still feel some stiffness in rolling the bike with my legs. Also, with the lever pulled in and RPMs high (around 9-10k) I feel the bike pulling forward slightly. Is this "acceptable" in terms of the clutch not disengaging fully, or a more serious problem?

I adjusted the clutch cable so that there is just a few mm of free play at the lever, to be sure that it would engage fully.

Did you go through HS2020's how to?

Comment

Comment

I didn't know about his how-to at the time, but I saw it today. The procedure seems to agree with the one in the Clymer service manual, which I followed. The only part I'm not sure about is turning in the adjustring screw until I encounter HIGH resistance. What I considered high resistance might actually be low resistance. I don't know how delicate these parts are (the screw certainly seems small and delicate), so I probably erred on the side of caution here.

Comment

Well the key is to follow HS2020 instructions exactly..

I tried adjusting mine many times and HS's worked spot on first go..

Comment

Today i started mine up, went to drop it in gear, and it lunged forward and stalled. I have done all of the adjustments that I can find regarding cable, but the clutch still wont disengage. As far as I could tell from riding saturday, everything was fine.
            "If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger. "
            Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

All I say is this...

Follow the procedure exactly as written. If you still have trouble you have broken parts. Do not do the cable, do not do the tension screw. Do the whole thing as written..

If after following it as written you still have trouble you have broken parts. But you need to follow it as written..

Comment

If you need me to walk you through it. Drop me a PM with your number and I will call you. I have pictures to put in the how to but have yet to up load them.
                www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Ok tried the adjustment again, and same result. Started the bike with my neighbor on the center stand, and dropped it into first. The rear wheel spins the same with the lever pulled in or left out. I read in another post that the temperature of the oil can make a difference if it gums up the plates, so let the bike run in nuetral for fifteen minutes and same result. Have tightened the cable to the point where I can not even pull the lever in all the way, and same thing. Any ideas BP or HS what might be buggered up inside? Really don't know much about clutches. Lots of parts start to put me out of the comfort zone.
                  Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Well, One thing for certian. If you have the bike tire off the ground, the tire will turn no matter if the clutch is engaged or not. Put the tire on the ground and hold on when popping it into first. You might have to restart the readjust since you were trying to meter its effects with it in the air. Friction between the tire and the ground stop the creep normally. If you hit the ground and it still lunges, then redo the steps. Then if after all that its still lunging... Like BP said, you might have broken parts. Its not hard to adjust the clutch.
                    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

I thought about creeping, so we tried touching the rear brake a little to see if the bike would keep running with the tires stopped. Had to apply heavy braking and the bike stalled.
                      Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Your clutch is way out of adjustment. You may need a new cable. I would start there.
                        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

I just replaced the cable and went through the adjustment, and no better. I noticed that my oil is nearly black after having changed it only about 1200 KM ago when I bought it. Would it be possible that things are really gummed up inside, and my plates are sticking together. I am going to open it up tomorrow, and check everything for tolerances, but was wondering if someone has run accross this before?
                          Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Clutch is opened up, and one of the fiber plates looks in rough shape. It was the one closest to the transmission. Would this be enough to casue the problems that I am having. The rest of the plates while a little worn ar all within tolerances.
                            Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

OK friction plates all changed. The one steel that was rough is changed. Went through the adjustments for an hour, and still no luck. Does anyone have any further Ideas on what it could be?
                              Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Working...
                              X