X

Chain Adjustment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain Adjustment

Recently doing some maintenance on my new 2000 600F and cleaned and adjusted the chain. It was loose and hitting the swingarm. Tightened up the adjusters evenly on both sides so I think. The problem I have is that the chain is tight on 1/2 of the chain distance but loose on the other half.

Is something out of round? Is the chain stretched and needs replace? Any ideas?
    sigpic

if you adjusted it and it still not right, then yeah it's shot.

Comment

Best way to tell is get the loose part on the rear sprocket. if you can pull the chain away from the sprocket more than a few mm it is toast.

Comment

That's what I suspected. My next question which I'm sure will create a lot of debate here is what is a good brand and place to get a new chain. I would like to change the sprockets too. Something with some style and color as well as performance. I'm an every day rider so quality matters.
        sigpic

Comment

Well the argument might be over sticking with 530 or moving to 520.. 520 is thinner and can be found cheaper (it is a common seller) but I think up to the challenge of a Katana. IMO sumofallparts.com has good deals on RK chains with Vortex sprockets (as a package). Some members have said the service was good.

Comment

yes, I agree that the RK/Vortex is the way to go. Certainly don't think you should go with a 520, your right BP the 520/530 thing is going to be the debate. Sumofallparts.net has good prices and some things ship right away, some take FOREVER. It's Sumofallparts.net not .com

Comment

I've been hearing some conflict over the RK/Vortex parts not holding up very well. I'm sticking with the 530 and the 15/47 Sproket size I have now. I'd like to find a rear sprocket that is chromed and with a intricate design too.
              sigpic

Comment

you want a fancy sprocket thats really good Siidewinder sprockets.

Comment

The Tri-metal

Comment

Thanks Arsenic,

There's some sweet stuff at sidewinder. Appreciate everyone's help on this. I'm going to have just as much fun this winter working on my bike as I have this summer riding it.
                    sigpic

Comment

yeah, Sidewinder is awesome stuff.

Comment

A couple more questions. Isn't the link count 118 for the 15/47 or is it 120? Also, for the everyday rider what is a good tensile strength?
                        sigpic

Comment

get a RK530XSO 118. Thats what I have with a Sidewinder tri metal 47 tooth rear sprocket and a Vortex 15 tooth front sprocket. For a 98+ 600 with 15/47 gearing the size is 118.

Comment

I'll post pics with the sidewinder spockets installed - having them installed as I type...Yay!

Comment

did you get the tri metal?

Comment

Working...
                              X