X

It is worthy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is worthy?

Ok is like this, my 1993 750 Katana, is now in the mechanic with a broken 2nd gear, the other gears (3,4, and 6) are about to broke too, so I need to replace those too. Including all the other stuff like the seals, bushings, clips, etc) all this work will cost about 1,500, but I will end with a new tranny for years to come. So my question is, it is worthy to spend that amount of money in a 10 year+ bike? everything else in the bike is perfect, engine, electric system, etc.

thanks

well, that depens how much you like the Kat. Do I think it's worth paying someone else to do it, no. Do it your self. BTW I have the whole trans and gears.

And the 600 and 750 trans are the same.

Comment

Re: It is worthy?

Originally posted by eortizr
      Ok is like this, my 1993 750 Katana, is now in the mechanic with a broken 2nd gear, the other gears (3,4, and 6) are about to broke too, so I need to replace those too. Including all the other stuff like the seals, bushings, clips, etc) all this work will cost about 1,500, but I will end with a new tranny for years to come. So my question is, it is worthy to spend that amount of money in a 10 year+ bike? everything else in the bike is perfect, engine, electric system, etc.

thanks
      Like he said...is it worth it TO YOU? After all it's YOUR BIKE and YOUR MONEY. BUT there is another option.

It's actually EASIER and FASTER to just swap the engine / tranny as a unit. You should be able to find a newer, less mile to boot, engine for $300-600 and install it yourself. It's VERY straightforward. If I was going to spend $1500 and NOT do it myself, I'd just buy a replacement engine and pay someone to install it. It should STILL end up cheaper than $1500.

Hope this helps.

And install a Factory Pro shift detent spring 'kit' when you do either. It should help prevent this again, if you use the clutch to shift

Chris

Comment

you will fast approach the cost of a new Kat 750 if you have a mechanic do the work. it isn't a rare bike, but you may have a lot invested in it

+1 on doing the work yourself. an engine/tranny swap will end up cheaper and probably take less time. or get a bike that has been dropped a lot (thereby bought for a low price) and put your nice fairings on it

did you damage the gearbox by shifting into 2nd without the clutch? only curious as i have really been trying to curb the habit
        1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Where would you go to look for a new(er) engine. I am somewhat in the same boat as eortizr (36,000 miles broken 2nd gear) but the bike otherwise runs fine. Also will gsxr motors fit there is one on craigslist listed as both for 800.
          1989 Katana 600
          1999 Camaro Z28

Comment

Comment

where u at gen?
              your suzuki qualified tech

flinstone little block mod

Comment

I've got a 2005 600 motor that I need to sell...
                Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                18v Rigid Drill
                Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
                New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Originally posted by catfish
                  you will fast approach the cost of a new Kat 750 if you have a mechanic do the work. it isn't a rare bike, but you may have a lot invested in it

+1 on doing the work yourself. an engine/tranny swap will end up cheaper and probably take less time. or get a bike that has been dropped a lot (thereby bought for a low price) and put your nice fairings on it

did you damage the gearbox by shifting into 2nd without the clutch? only curious as i have really been trying to curb the habit
                  Well I realy like my Kat, thats why I invest in the tranny repair. The engine is in perfect condition and I will be putting a new 2nd ,3rd and 4th and the input shaft. for the way a broke 2nd.,, it was like this,,, I was drag racing the bike,,, starting at first until redline, then I hit second (using the clutch) but afte passing 6K rev it drop to first again by itself, I quicky change it back to 2nd and then 3rd, when I slowed down and changed from 3rd to 2nd, Bam!!!! the 2nd got broke.

And it is a rare bike where I live (Puerto Rico), here you'll see a lot of Hayabusas and GSXR

Comment

well, if you want to rplace all though parts. I really have to recommend buying the complete trans and gears from me, it will be cheaper then buying all those parts new.

Comment

I live right outside Philadelphia.
                      1989 Katana 600
                      1999 Camaro Z28

Comment

Working...
                      X