Cold Natured? Ignition Advancer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Natured? Ignition Advancer?

Okay...here's the deal.

While after the valve adjustment, the replacement carbs, synchronizing the carbs etc..the bike idles and runs MUCH better....but it just seems cold-natured to me. This is compared to my 90 GS500..with the GS, choke it a bit, crank it, let it run enough time to put my jacket on, choke it down a bit, put my helmet on, turn choke off and go.

With the Kat..it's more 'finicky'. Now I KNOW at least part of it is that the choke cable is pretty 'touchy' (not at the carb I dealt with that, the cable mechanism itself) so new throttle, choke and clutch cable will be here this week. But it's either 3k RPM w/ choke maybe a bit under, or nothing at all. BUT after riding it at speed for 10 minutes or less, it seems fine. Idle right around 1200 RPM warmed up.

I talked to a wrench buddy of mine, (who owned a pre 98 Kat 750 for a long time) said that when he installed an ignition advancer, he noticed how much quicker the bike seemed to 'warm up'.

Does this make sense to anyone? The factory pro advancer is only like $40, and it is an easy bolt on mod. I'm just not looking to play with rejetting YET.

Also, since I now have a more than complete set of 'spare' carbs I plan on ordering a "kit" from Special K and TAKING MY TIME and really going COMPLETELY through another set of carbs, and when they are done, get 'em going.

BTW even though it seems "cold natured" the bike is running STRONG, not smelling rich, and right now sitting at about 115 miles on a half tank of gas.

Okay...opinions, feedback and experiences please

Thanks
    Chris

Shift kit, fumoto valve, oil, filter, and assorted stuff on the way

yeah an ignition advancer one of the selling points is shorter warm up times.

Comment

Working...
    X