Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

How to take the timing chain tensioner apart?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to take the timing chain tensioner apart?

Righty, my bike is my only form of transport, it sounds like shit at idle and lumps all over the place, i want to have a look at the cam chain tensioner. Can It be easily taken apart and put back together without takin the head off. And then still be ridden if it is knackered whilst waiting for the new one?
    "they haven't made a motorcycle in oh 35yrs where you can turn the head light off Confused"

burger?

yes, yes and umm what was the third question?

You really should get a manual. Be prepared with some gasket seal.. In the book it describes removing it, resetting the spring (by releasing the pawl) and reinserting it. It is the spring BTW that gets knackered.
    I don't have my manual (stupid as I'm offering more advise now then when I was at home) but the free length is described. Maybe some other upstanding member will post it. (keep in mind it is possible that the free length is OK but the spring is dead, not likely but possible)

Comment

if your going to the trouble to take the large nut out, you wight as well buy a new spring and gasket, they are cheap. There is a total of 3 bolts. 2 on either side that hold it on. One big one that holds the spring in. First, take the large center nut loose, it easier to do this with the assembly still bolted in. Once that is loose, take the assembly off. Take the old spring and gasket out. Push the adjuster all the way in, and bolt the assembly back in. Now with the adjuster all the way in, insert the new spring, put on the new gasket, torque the large center nut down. Now turn the engine by hand several times.

Comment

I know this is an old thread but it is relevant to my problem. I am restoring an 88 GSX600F and the po said the cam chain was making noise the last time he rode it. I pulled the tensioner apart, pulled the ratchet back and pushed the adjuster back into the tensioner but the adjuster just came back out when I released it. Clymer manual said that means the tensioner is bad, is that the case?
        88 GSX600F Katana

Comment

Reread that . You need to insert a wire to keep the rod In place during install.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
            Reread that . You need to insert a wire to keep the rod In place during install.
            Thanks for that info. I don't recall seeing that in the manuals. What goes bad in these automatic cam chain adjusters that causes them to malfunction? Should the springs be replaced every so many miles?
            88 GSX600F Katana

Comment

The springs do get weak from heat/cool cycle over time, cheap to replace.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
              X