X

2006 Katana 600 or 750?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Katana 600 or 750?

Looking to purchase a 2006 Katana motor and I am told it's a 750. Anyway to tell which is which? I have several other Suzuki motors and they have the cm number on the side of the cylinder such as 748 cm 749cm. The seller on this engins is telling me it's a blank spot where the markings are, yet it still has the Engine ID number. Any help would be appreciated.

Rob

this might help a little bit, but should probably start at the engine code
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

well, looking at the fiche, the heads between the 600 and 750 are different, is there an easy way to tell, no. Is it possible to tell, yes, I could tell for looking at the inside of the head, but it's not simple.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface
        http://katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29335&highlight=difference+motor

this might help a little bit, but should probably start at the engine code
        Thanks guys. Yes I figured out after posting to look at several engine code lists I have . The 600's engine code should start with the letter N and the 750 with the letter R like all the other GSXR 750 motors. I have an 1986 GSXR 750 that I am building from frame up. ( third such build for me) and saw a 750 Katana motor that I am interested in getting for it. I do have a 89 750 slingshot motor, but she needs a rebuild and just want to get a good runner motor in this 86 750. I currently also have a 1989 GSXR 750 with an 1100 (1052) motor in it. I am no stranger to Suzuki oil cooled motors and have built them all from the frame up. But I had to figure out how this Katana 750 motor could be adapted and identified. The seller says that the cm number usually found on the one side of the cylinder head is not there, just a blank spot. I will call him tomorrow for the engine ID number.

Comment

Mystery solved. It's a 600. no purchase done. Thanks everyone for your help.

Comment

Hey there,

Is not the Katana engine a lot down on power from the original GSXR lump? Surely there are plenty of original (though admittedly shagged) GSXR engines out there to be had?

PB

Comment

the 98+ Katana engine is a detuned 90-92 GSXR engine. Suzuki oil cooled engines are like small block Chevy's, all the parts interchange.

Comment

Working...
              X