X

Am I missing anything?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I missing anything?

91 Katana, new to me. 28k. Runs very well. Previous owner dumped a THICK folder with all maintenance receipts / work etc (he didn't any of his own work).

Bike is BONE stock mechanically BTW......I like it that way for now.

He was religous on oil changes...which is good.

Anyway, bike will take over my GS500E's commuter status as soon as I replace the clutch lever, windscreen, and mirrors. (bike fell over in the parking lot the night BEFORE I went to get it.....LOL).

Idle was a bit low, got it sitting at @1250-1300 when warm and it runs well. Appears to maybe run a 'bit' rich but I won't judge it until I'm riding it enough to see.

Anyway....valves were adjusted in April, maybe 1.5k miles since then.

BTW - Clymer and Factory service manual is on the way, I have the Haynes downloaded already.

What's the valve adjustment recommendation (miles). The Haynes makes it seem like it's 4k.....maybe the INITIAL 4k...but after that what's the recommendation?

I plan on the following:

- Stainless braided brake lines. Front for sure...any recommendations on rear?

- The calipers were rebuilt (again dealership invoice) last year with EBC pads, but I'm going to go ahead and clean / flush the entire brake system (speed bleeders...anyone know the size / pitch off hand?) and add some good, fresh fluid, and probably new pads, just for my piece of mind

- LED's to replace the normal bulbs in the speedo / tach / fuel gauge.
    (I did some digging on this, and no one really seemed to know for sure which bulb # the pre-98 600 took and how many? I was going to replace them all) Speedo, Tach, Fuel, and indicators

Clean chain / sprockets and lube (again receipts, replaced last riding season)

This will probably be it, besides running some Seafoam in it like I do all my vehicles...

Until it gets cold when I plan on a tear down to paint (change color to blue from red) paint frame, and I figure while it's apart I'll clean / go thru carbs, sync 'em etc etc.

I also plan on going with a new air filter, oil and oil filter, and plugs.

Any recommendations on oil without starting a war? LOL I run 15w 40 in my GS and it loves it. What about the Kat?

I may try the Irridium plugs for giggles.....

Chris

Anyway..if I'm missed anything let me know.......thanks in advance

Idle according to the factory should be around 1,100 +/- 100

As for the bulbs, there are a total 7 in the instrument cluster, two for the speedo, two for the RPM, 1 for the feul and one each for the blinkers. it presently takes the #194 bulb if you go out hunting for the replacement.

As for the speed bleeders and the recommendation on the rear, I dont know the size/pitch but it would be nice to keep the lines braided as well to match the front. As for the pads, you can go a softer pad on the rear since most of your stopping is from the front and the EBC pads are a little harder on the disk but stop better. Dont need to lock the rear wheel with a grabbier pad.

As for oil I use Semi synth 10-40 but the choise is up to you and your driving conditions and weather.
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it

As for the bulbs, there are a total 7 in the instrument cluster, two for the speedo, two for the RPM, 1 for the feul and one each for the blinkers. it presently takes the #194 bulb if you go out hunting for the replacement.

As for the speed bleeders and the recommendation on the rear, I dont know the size/pitch but it would be nice to keep the lines braided as well to match the front. As for the pads, you can go a softer pad on the rear since most of your stopping is from the front and the EBC pads are a little harder on the disk but stop better. Dont need to lock the rear wheel with a grabbier pad.

As for oil I use Semi synth 10-40 but the choise is up to you and your driving conditions and weather.
      Forgot three other bulbs in the cluster, but I think the compartment constraints might limit the size you can put in there. The three remaining bulbs are the Oil, Netural and the High Beam. Tho they are fairly bright to start with. So its really a total of 10 if you include those.
      If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
      Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it
        For a pre750 . 600 and 98+ are different . Pre 600 is supposed to be like 1250-1300 or something .
        Speedbleeders ROCK . I just got some use out of mine today . Flushed the old brake fluid out . Took me all of 10 minutes to do the whole front . Out back I'd stick with stock pad type and lines . Easy enough to lock up the rear already .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
        X