X

Valve Adjustments- a few more questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Adjustments- a few more questions

Ok, for all you guys/gals that are doing your own valve adjustments, I have a few more questions before I crack open a 2005 750.

1. Is the clearance values the same on the 600 as it is for 750? The manual I downloaded from this site is for the 600.

2. The manual states rotate the engine using a 19mm wrench on the crankshaft nut. Is the crankshaft bolt exposed during this procedure? And if not, what is the best way to turn the engine over to get the lobes where you need them??

3. Tank removal.... If the gas line is dis-connected below the vacuum valve, the remaining gas in the tank should not leak out, SHOULD IT?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I have looked through a lot of post and do not see much for an actual photo documentation of this procedure. I hope to document this extensively to post up for everyone else that would like to see this done for themselves.
    It's not speed that kills, it's the deceleration!

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives you the test first, and then teaches the lesson.

TXSBR.com Alais: TexasSportBiker

take the signal generator cover off and the crankshaft nut is right there, turn it clockwise. And no the gas will not leak out.

Comment

The valve clearances should be marked on one of the frame plates... that should clear up any issues...

Yes, removing the right side cover exposes the bolt in question. Make sure you have the plugs out when you are rotating the enigne, and that it's not in gear.

How to: http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/katana/trinc/valve.htm
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

yeah, that's the best write up you will find. The clearance should be on a frame plate on the left side, while your siting on the bike, by the steering stem.

Comment

okay, these are the valve clearance for a PRE 98 750.
          IN - .004 - .006 inches
          EX - .007 - .009 inches

Comment

I think all the oil cooled, screw type valve, suzuki motors have the same clearance, do they not?
            Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
            18v Rigid Drill
            Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
            New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

I don't know, it's very possible. The 88-91 Katana 600, which is screw type valve adjusters is different. It's .004-.006 on both EX and IN

Comment

hmm, well, guess my assumption was wrong then, I know the bandits are the same at the 98+ kats.
                Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                18v Rigid Drill
                Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
                New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

My 05' 750 valve clearance values were done using the 98+ 600 Suzuki service manual. Yep...the same.

Crankshaft bolt is exposed during the entire process (although technically, the socket head covers the actual bolt/nut combination).

Make sure you are in neutral and no spark plugs in the cylinders.

Do a search for valve clearance with my name; I believe CP and I posted some photos over a year ago when we did my bike.

Comment

Working...
                  X